Author Topic: feeding bred ewe lambs  (Read 2822 times)

drew24

• View Profile
feeding bred ewe lambs
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:38:10 am »
want your opinon on feeding bred ewe lambs. The last month of gestation do you limit the hay so they are not so full to help prevent prolapses or limit the grain so the lambs dont get to big?
  • andy atkinson

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: feeding bred ewe lambs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:27:26 am »
That last month, I feed a higher quality alfalfa hay, which is relatively nutrient dense, high in protein and high in calcium. I'll feed them about 4 lbs of this per day. In addition, I will feed them 1 1/2 lb of grain (currently we are feeding rice, but have used corn in the past). This seems to work pretty well for us. It's more the protein that will make the lambs too big than the energy. If you don't feed enough protein, they won't make enough milk, but if you feed too much, the lambs can get too big. Alfalfa with corn or another plain grain seems to balance pretty well.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:39:23 am »
We have them on free choice quality alfalfa hay.  They get about 3 lbs of 12.5% protein ewe ration.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

PeteM

• Pete Maples
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:15:39 pm »
The best is good quality wheat pasture. It seems to be a great natural fix. With out it, a good high quality hay and 3 lbs grain. Around 13%.
  • Pete Maples
Raising quality Hampshire and Shropshire clublambs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:58:24 pm »
2 and 2 is standard  here for most . 2 lbs of hay,2 lbs of concentrate of some type.
If using average hay would be using a protein supplement with the grain. Literally hundreds fed in may area each year. I have 30 to 40each year and has been my standard for many years.
  • Shane Kirschten