Author Topic: Who's gettin' snow?  (Read 3657 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Who's gettin' snow?
« on: November 24, 2015, 05:00:15 pm »
We've gotten a couple inches so far and supposed to get up to a foot before it's done. This is already the third storm we've had so far this month, which is a GREAT thing after two years of record setting drought. I won't say the sheep have been particularly enjoying it but they will come spring!
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

woolpuller

• View Profile
Re: Who's gettin' snow?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 05:50:28 am »
we got 3 inches  which was our first in Ontario.  However three days later all gone and raining.
  • Bill Duffield

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:27:22 am »
Well, we got a little cheated. Only got a couple inches out of it. But it's the third storm already this month, so I'm feeling optimistic!
  • Crystal Emsoff

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:00:20 pm »
Our snow season starts at Thanksgiving and usually it's gone for good around the first week of April.  We're right on schedule as evidenced by the 3 photo's taken today.

• Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

PeteM

• Pete Maples
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:25:49 pm »
Wish it was snow here. We have had over an inch in ice and I have a lot of chainsaw and fence work to do now.
  • Pete Maples
Raising quality Hampshire and Shropshire clublambs.

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:41:28 pm »
I'll bet. First ice storm I ever saw was in Texas. Crazy stuff. I'll take snow any day. How do the sheep handle the ice storms if they don't have a barn for shelter?
  • Crystal Emsoff

PeteM

• Pete Maples
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:11 am »
They are fine. We have a good shed for them. They seem to be able to find hay and trough.
  • Pete Maples
Raising quality Hampshire and Shropshire clublambs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 07:28:22 pm »
We have another 9 inches . at least most of the 15 we had last week is gone.  Have had some winters when we get couple inches of ice. I have sheds, but have had to spread rock salt on the ground to get paths melted to the water fountain and feed bunk. Another use for round bales of corn stalks. Roll them out for animals to walk one.
Part of the reason some have total confined operations in the winter here. No ice,snow,mud or rain to worry about.
 Is not froze underneath yet, so most of this will melt into the 6 inches of mud we have from the 3 inches of rain, the week before last weeks 15 inches of snow.😀
It's the Midwest. The weather will change in 3 or 4 days, if you don't like today's, maybe you will like tomorrow's.
 Having been in 5 states the last 4 days visiting family, I am glad to be home.  It was nice to see parts of North Dakota, Montana,and Wyoming, and most of South Dakota on this trip, and most of Iowa last weekend. It's all pretty. Looking forward to being "home" for the next 5 months. And all the " weather" that comes with it.
  • Shane Kirschten