Author Topic: Isometrics! (And Exercise in General)  (Read 8535 times)

CowboysKat

• View Profile
Isometrics! (And Exercise in General)
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:31:57 pm »
Hello everyone!  :)
I'd like to thank you all in advance for any and all information provided!
I have done lots of research on the topic of exercising show/market lambs, and although I know quite a bit about the subject, I was hoping to hear from some of the knowledgeable people on this forum!
Now, I understand that muscle is mostly dependant on genetic potential, and partially based on nutrition, but I would still like to learn how to tone the muscle in my lambs!
So, my question is: how do you execute isometrics with your lambs? I understand the basics, but what specific muscle groups do you target and how?
Also, how many sets/reps do you do for how long, and how often?   
What's your routine warm up and cool down for isometrics?
And while we're at it, what else does your exercise routine include? (If you have a treadmill, how long at what speed do you use? If you have a track and dog, what's your routine? If you utilize sprinting, how far? Etc.)
Thank you all again!  :)
  • Kat

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Isometrics! (And Exercise in General)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:28:05 am »
I am just getting a handle on the "exercise thing" myself. We started treadmilling last year and experienced users told us that you should go 3-5 minutes, as fast as the lamb can go. You're walking just the back legs, backwards, so you have to work up slowly as the lamb gains skill at it. You don't want to treatmill one that is at all weak in the pasterns. Work them three times a week.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

PeteM

• Pete Maples
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 07:34:02 am »
I am still a big fan of tracking. I just think the adrenaline factor makes a great difference. You have to ease into tracking as well. The lambs will go around the track 3 or 4 sessions before they ever see a dog. This lets the sheep learn the track before they are in stress mode.

We have tinkered with Isometrics but it would be more of a supplement to other exercise programs.
  • Pete Maples
Raising quality Hampshire and Shropshire clublambs.

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:21:20 am »
Pete, can you elaborate on your tracking schedule? How often, how long of sessions, when do you start, etc.
  • Crystal Emsoff

tsylvester

• View Profile
    • Sylvester Livestock
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:39:19 am »
I don't mean to open a can of worms but just want to give folks something to ponder on....What evidence is there that adrenaline causes muscle development?  Does it work that way in humans?
  • TJ Sylvester
Breeder of Southdowns & Hampshires

tsylvester

• View Profile
    • Sylvester Livestock
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 10:46:33 am »
BTW- our routine is:
~4 days a week
20 minutes trotting forward- Warmup/Toning
Up to 5 min Treadmill -Muscle building (backwards all 4 feet, fast they are able)
30 minutes on walker- Cooldown
  • TJ Sylvester
Breeder of Southdowns & Hampshires

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 12:44:27 pm »
I don't know if it works on humans? Maybe find a mean pit bull you can antagonize a couple times a week and see?  ;) I have always heard that the adrenaline from the dogs helps to build the muscle, but never seen any science behind the theory. Regardless, the most defined lambs I've seen were all tracked. Even with my own genetics, the lambs I've sold that were tracked were significantly bigger butted than the ones that weren't. Granted, they were usually a few months older too, so maturity may have come into play as well. However, one of those feeders just mentioned to me that the tracking really helps to control finish on the older lambs. So it all goes hand in hand: maturity, muscling and finish.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »
You can search on the web for more on the impact of hormones on building humane muscle, here is one linkhttp://weighttraining.about.com/od/succeedingwithweights/a/hormones_3.htm
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

jrod315

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:16:36 am »
I discovered mylamb about five years ago and when it shut down I followed over here. Since this is my first substantial post on either site, just a little info about myself.
My father and I run 400 hd of reg angus cows along with some dry land and irrigated farming. Other than my wife who is a hair stylist; the cows and the operation around it is our main source of income. I run about 15 ewes as a hobby mainly, it keeps me in the loop with breeders and up to date on trends, and genetics. Started showing lambs roughly 15 years ago.

There are two main rules in our show lamb barn.
1. Feeding, working and exercising lambs take top priority over all other activities.(important family events, emergencies and school work excluded, of course). If you want to go to a movie on Friday night with friends, fine. But the lamb work is done first. We are going to devote the time, effort and energy required to be competitive or we aren't going to do it. Always understanding that even though you devote that time, effort and energy; you are never guaranteed to win. Which leads to rule number two.

2. If at any point it isn't fun for all parties involved we aren't doing it any more.

I get asked this exercise question several times a year from people in and around our county. Nothing I said above or will say below is new or ground breaking, just my two cents.
The first thing I tell people is to find a system that works for them and stick with it. Consistency is the key. You don't need a barn full of high dollar equipment to achieve good results.
We started using a dog and a track about four years ago and I agree with crystal the difference in results were very easy to see. We don't have a high dollar track dog, we use our red heeler that spends most of her time on cows. She obeys commands, is aggressive when needed, will bark and bite when the need arises and is fast enough to keep up with lambs. We also use a straight track instead of an oval one because it suits the dog better. The track routine varies greatly depending on each lamb and what they need in terms of finish ect. I would gladly expand on that.
We also utilize isometrics to a certain degree. The average class at our state fair is 22.5 minutes long, from the time the first lamb comes in. If you make it to the last two or three lambs sorted you've been in there for a while. We start slow at one minute per lamb on a 100% brace and increase by a minute each week until we reach 15 minutes. We don't worry a lot about feet placement during this exercise, as long as the lamb is pushing properly and the showman has his/her legs, hips and body in the correct position. This will build endurance and stamina for the lamb and showman. That way if you make it to the final two or three in a class you can still give the judge a good look and a good handle on a lamb and have a showman that isnt exhausted.
We have a treadmill and use it some depending on the lambs needs. It is not my favorite, however I know a family that has no dog and only a treadmill and walker. They do a really good job and have very competitive lambs so once again find what works for you and be consistent.
  • Jerrod Massey

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 06:05:18 pm »
Great post, Jrod. Curious about that family that just treadmills... What is their routine? Are they running on the treadmill? Forwards and/or backwards? All four feet or just rear?
  • Crystal Emsoff

PeteM

• Pete Maples
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 07:49:39 pm »
We started at about 100lbs but they lamb needs to have good fat cover. Once started we would build up to about 10 minutes. We would run them until huffing and puffing. Our goal is to exercise three days a week. We have an old half lab, half rot dog that has good response. She is not as aggressive as the great dogs, but we get good results.
  • Pete Maples
Raising quality Hampshire and Shropshire clublambs.

CowboysKat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 06:54:38 pm »
Thank you all for the wonderful and informative replies! :) They're much appreciated!
For those of you who track your lambs, what commands are essential for your track dogs to know, and how do you go about training them?
Thanks again!
  • Kat