Author Topic: evaluating shoulders  (Read 3290 times)

M Howard

• View Profile
evaluating shoulders
« on: April 29, 2016, 06:24:42 am »
Can someone please provide pictures of good versus poor shoulders.  Are the show breeders looking for something different than the commerical sheepman? Are the shoulders on a club lamb evaluated differently from a breeding animal of the same breed?  I would be interested in the input of different breeds.  Can anyone supply pictures in the way of "this is my ram lamb and this is what I like about his shoulders" and "this is his half-brother and I wethered him because I don't like this about his shoulders".  Something along that line.  I would like to develope a better eye at evaluating my own sheep.  Thanks.
  • Ramona Howard

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: evaluating shoulders
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:12:35 am »
Great question. Basically, you want the shoulders smooth and trim. You want them blending smoothly from the neck and into the rib. I will try to post a few pictures of good and bad shoulders. These are all from the Online Sheep Show, so that may be a great place for you to do and study the pictures and read the judges' comments and learn.

Bad Shoulders

Notice how the is lamb's shoulders look like they are wider than the rib cage? His neck sticks out of his shoulders instead of blending into them.

A lamb that, among other issues, has a coarse, deep, heavy shoulder.

A lamb that is too prominent and round at the point of the shoulder (at the chest in front)

This lamb was described by the judge as a "loaf of bread." He's as wide at the shoulder when viewed from behind as he is at the hip. He is heavy and course shouldered.

A lamb that is too prominent and wide in the top of her shoulder.

Good Shoulders

Notice on these three lambs how SMOOTHLY the shoulders tie from the neck and into the rib when viewed from the rear. When looking at the profile, notice how at the front they are smooth, with no prominent shoulder blade. When evaluating the shoulder, think trim and smooth.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:29:27 am by EmsoffLambs »
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

PeteM

• Pete Maples
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 08:26:35 am »
Those are great illustrations of good and bad. Something to look out for is that in the quest for the seamless shoulders, sometimes lambs get too strait in the shoulders and this effects their ability to move freely.
  • Pete Maples
Raising quality Hampshire and Shropshire clublambs.

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:37:27 am »
Good point! Angle is important too. It can also affect their neck set if the shoulder is not angled properly.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 01:13:31 pm »
Extremely helpful, Crystal!  Thank you so much! 

I know it takes time to put the photos and descriptions together but it would be great if, when you have time, you could create a page with photos and descriptions of the various other parts of the lambs that go into a good vs bad lamb.  The direct comparisons are the best way to really see the differences.  Thanks again!!
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 05:19:39 pm »
Here are some diagrams I made a few years ago and recently updated to keep up with more current trends.

• Crystal Emsoff

M Howard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 03:30:01 pm »
Thank you so much.  I've heard people discussing the shoulders but it's really true a picture is worth a thousand words.
You've been very helpful. 
  • Ramona Howard

M Howard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 03:36:50 pm »
Another thought, at what age is the shoulder conformation apparent?  Can you tell the moment that lamb hits the ground or is it something you see at 4 weeks or 8 weeks?  My lambs are pretty much cookie cutters until about six weeks old and then they start looking different enough that you can tell who is who from across the pasture.
  • Ramona Howard

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:56:08 am »
Basic structure is apparent at birth. That ideal wedge shape and smooth shoulder, along with good rib shape that helps make that smooth look can be seen very early on. However, slight shoulder problems will become more pronounced as lambs mature. I usually have a fair idea by two weeks. By a month to six weeks it should be obvious.
  • Crystal Emsoff