Author Topic: Anyone seen or used Vikings Stelmo ram  (Read 2923 times)

Bosephus

• View Profile
Anyone seen or used Vikings Stelmo ram
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:48:56 pm »
Just curios to how Viking club lambs Stelmo buck was impacting different flocks
  • Peter Tibbits

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
Re: Anyone seen or used Vikings Stelmo ram
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:58 pm »
I went over to Viking last December to get in on their year end semen special. My sole intent was to lock down some St. Elmo semen for 2017 lambs but I still wanted to view all the rams and some of their fall lambs. After the entire tour I must say, St. Elmo did not disappoint. He was exactly what his profile picture portrays him as except he has even more bone under him. Kinda freaky big boned for the style of sheep he is. I was in love but with one hang up. In the Fall of 2014, some good friends of mine leased a buck lamb from Viking. He was a Stetzin x Creole (Just like St. Elmo). They had some great keeper ewe lambs out of this buck lamb. Just massive hipped, monster boned, extremely stylish girls. I ended up buying a couple of those ewe lambs and absolutely love the way they turned out. I got a couple of good late born lambs out of them this Spring that I'm pretty excited about. One had a "Cooter" ram lamb that I'm keeping intact. These lambs, out this Stetzin son, impressed me so much that I went back over to Viking about a month ago, worked a deal with Terry and ended up buying the ram. I went around and looked at a lot of St. Elmo lambs this Spring and liked a ton of them but liked what his 3/4 brother did just as much and probably more. So I can't really answer your question as to how St. Elmo has impacted peoples flocks, He's just a yearling now and hasn't seen a bunch of work but what I've seen I like. We bought a St. Elmo wether, from Viking, to show this year and he is a stud. Power sheep all the way with monster bone.
So our new ram is a 2 yr. old, 3/4 brother to St.Elmo. We call  him "Steakhouse". Already knowing what he can do, we can't wait for him to get to work in a month or so.  Hoping to have some ewes bred to Steakhouse in our Oct. 27 bred ewe sale on SSP.
  • Lee Meyers

Bosephus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:30:50 pm »
Thanks lee I was thinking about purchasing a Semen package from Terry but kind of wanted to see what things this bloodline was putting out I need more bone and but so I was hoping he was one to put these traits out
  • Peter Tibbits

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:42:42 am »
You bet Peter and to add to what he brings I don't want to forget, beautiful front end. Just like his pic shows that chest floor is tucked way up, with great rib shape,  smooth shoulders and a great neck set. To be honest I bought Steakhouse because he brought the same qualities to the table along with a better rack shape. Text me (# is on my website) if you want to see some pics of the St. Elmo wether we have that, by the, way, has a great rack shape.
  • Lee Meyers