Author Topic: Lai protocol  (Read 3423 times)

Bosephus

• View Profile
Lai protocol
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:49:24 am »
What are the protocols used for ai ing last year I saw someone post they used estrumate I have my ewes in a fairly sub standard field right now plan on moving to our lush pasture 45 days before breeding have a teaser ram but last year I saw several different protocols posted on my lamb does anyone feel one was more successful than the others
  • Peter Tibbits

ColdCreek

• View Profile
Re: Lai protocol
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:48:37 am »
RSP has us use estrumate.  1ml four days before breeding.  Followed up by PG600 when you pull the CIDRs two days later.
  • Ken Parrott

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:23:19 pm »
I did the NHG 100 ewe LAI. We had 6 breeders breed 105 ewe that day.
Protocol we were given
- Have ewes sheared 3-6 weeks before breeding.  The one flock that didn't had <20% lambing rate.
- Have ewes in condition score 3-4.  The one flock that had several ewes condition score 2 had <20% lambing rate (different flock than the didn't shear flock)
- All ewes were given selenium and vitamin E injections
- CDRs were inserted and pulled 12 days later,  PG600 was injected at time CDRs were pulled
- Ewes were bred somewhere between 20-36 hours after CDRs were pulled.  Didn't see any correlation on where in that window ewe were bred.

All ewes were bred with fresh semen.  In one case, one of the rams seemed to not settle ewes very good.  Otherwise, those that followed the protocol had 60-85% of their ewes settle and lamb.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

KCsheep

• View Profile
    • Noble Ridge Club Lambs
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:54:06 pm »
We also bred with NHG last year and used their protocol.  We had great conception rates with the fresh semen, but not with frozen. 
  • Kate Crawford