Author Topic: First LAI Babies!  (Read 8988 times)

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: First LAI Babies!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 02:15:38 pm »
Follow this link, it shows how to inject dextrose into the peritoneal cavity.  That's the ideal location, if you can't bring yourself to do that you can also inject sub-q 2-3 mL per location.  The protocol described in the link is slightly different than ours.  You use this technique when it's an immediate matter of life or death as the lambs body temperature has dropped under 100 Degrees F. 

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/sheep/facts/98-089.htm

Regarding the sterile water.  We use tap water as we want to get glucose into the lambs blood stream as fast as possible.  The state sheep vet once told me if you had a life and death situation on your hands would you stop to boil water?  If you have immediate access to sterile water that's fine,  but I wouldn't spend anytime to get some.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 06:47:44 pm »
Are they nursing?
 Bf lambs at that weight would likely not survive here. But do know that fall born lambs do not typically weigh as much as winter born.
That being said,that weight is common for my hair cross ewes bred to hair rams or even Hamp rams. Lots of 5 to 6  lb trips and  quads weigh a bit less.  Most twins born out of 13 to 14 month old hair ewes were in that 4.5 to 5 lb range.
  • Shane Kirschten

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 08:48:17 pm »
One is nursing pretty well on his own.  The other is a bit lazy at holding on to the nipple but does pretty well on the syringe.  The bottle nipple is as big as his muzzle.  I had been using a regular 12cc, but picked up a catheter tip because it works much better.  I let him determine how much milk he draws from the syringe and follow with a slight pressure on the plunger.  It's amazing how much suction a tiny lamb creates!  I never force the milk.

Right now they are both looking pretty well but I know that can change quickly.

• Laura Overton

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 06:38:38 pm »
The babies are doing quite well.  Both are nursing from Mom.  They always stretch when they get up and when I pull their skin up it snaps back into place.  I put them on the postal scale and both are over 5 lbs now.  Since the scale zeros after 5 lbs I don't have an accurate weight.
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 09:10:23 pm »
Great news!
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:01:02 pm »
We added a second set of twins this evening.  These are five days early but are doing well.  The score is now even with two ewe lambs.
  • Laura Overton

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 08:28:09 pm »
With others having so many challenges this year and with us having many challenges in prior years, we are excited that this year is turning out well for our ewes due this month.  We welcomed a ram lamb from a first time mom yesterday.  He's strong and healthy.

One of the second set of twins was stepped on and I think I'll have to splint the leg as she's putting very little weight on it.

We have one more ewe to lamb.  Just hoping that everything turns out well.
  • Laura Overton

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »
Last of the four lambed on her due date, Wednesday October 14th.  A healthy ram lamb.  Very, very happy with a 150% lamb crop via a May LAI and three of the four being maiden ewes. :)
  • Laura Overton