Author Topic: Creep feed  (Read 13694 times)

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
Creep feed
« on: December 26, 2015, 06:21:47 am »
Interested in who has tried the Honor EXP 15 Pellet DX?
Pro's & con's from their experience.
Who's going back to it again?
  • Lee Meyers

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: Creep feed
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 05:24:15 pm »
Used some a couple years ago. Cost to much for the volume I need. But I see tractor supply stocks and sells it. If I was a a kid feeding 3 lambs, would likley be a good choice.it was priced at 18.50 a bag at tsc. 
  • Shane Kirschten

Kgb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »
I think that was back when corn was near !8 / bu.  Shouldn't be near that now.   And it's intended as a creep feed not necessarily for kids that have 1 or two lambs (although their lambs wil certainly do well on it).
  • Kevin Burgoon

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:31:13 pm »
We have used it, but not really as a creep feed.  We use it on younger greener already weaned lambs that need more cover.  We feed it straight or mixed it with the Honor 18 text feed.  Here it was running $16/bag while the text feed was close to $20.  I felt like we got equal results with it as we did with adding supplements like power fuel for a much more affordable price.  JMO
  • Cindy Kendrick

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 07:07:11 am »
Hi Cindy, Was hoping you or Darren would chime in as I remembered you guys saying you had used it. Yeah I was thinking of it as a creep.
Shane, did you use it as a creep? Aside from the price you say it would be a good choice. Why? I liked Honor's regular creep and I get along great with ShowRite creep. Just interested in actual results of people using the EXP.
Kevin, have you got feedback from creep users?
  • Lee Meyers

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 05:42:28 pm »
Kgb,this was in a tractor supply 2 days ago at that price point. Sioux Falls SD. I have come to the conclusion that the bloom (fat) needed on sale lambs ,dictates use of a much lower protein creep feed. Conventional wisdom ,is yojng stock utilizes protein and needs more protein to support rapid growth. But buyers are currently buying fat.  So a higher energy,lower protien will add that.
Observation over many years,is that most  peoples ewes milk less than they think they do. Lower milk production, drives lambs to eat more creep. Also ,the amount of energy that many feed ewes may limit milk production. Ewes,like Dairy cows ,need protein to produce milk.
My ewes milk heavier than many, and getting enough intake to get something out of creep is hard. My lambs have minaml creep intake until at least 4 weeks, and weaning lbs at 45 days would be disastrous here. I am hard pressed to dry ewes up by  60 days. Or more.  So I use a high energy low protein creep to get more energy into lambs. And I can buy a very high quality 16 grower for about 9.00  for a 50 lb bag and make it for  about  5  So I do that. Would I use Honor, if I did not use current product. Yes. I would likely use Grand lamb mixer,but would use this to start lambs.
Great product.  Available most anywhere, and proven .   It likely comes down to what you can buy fresh and local.
  • Shane Kirschten

Kgb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:44:10 am »
I believe the feed going to Sioux Falls is made at Clarence, IA and would have a little freight involved.  It works as both a creep or a growing/developing feed.  You are right about fat on lambs.  A lot of folks cannot project a green lamb and visualize what it could be.   So, making the lamb fatter helps them do that. 

For reviews on EXP, climb lamb breeders really like it.  Very palatable (more so than even the 20% HSC Showlamb Creep).  Lambs do well on it and it makes a difference in their appearance. 
  • Kevin Burgoon

Kgb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:50:57 am »
Also the high vs lower protein thing; my view is that in most quality wether type sheep today muscle is not the limiting factor. It's bred into them.  They just need more energy (calories) to fuel not only fat cover and growth but lean tissue synthesis (muscle) as well.   For sheep that are naturally easier doing like Southdowns etc... A higher protein creep and growing feed makes more sense.  And for those sheep that need help with muscle.
  • Kevin Burgoon

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 09:55:04 am »
Freight,much like corn prices have fallen from couple years ago.  Good product, and retailers must be profitable to remain in business. Purina has investment in R &D and  has to make a profit.  Consumer will decide if price point is right for them. I may check my local dealer, and may try some.  But happy with current product. Others have fewer options. Surprising ,with many hubbard dealers in my area,Showrite is problematic to get a hold of.  And I am not going to chnage brands halfway through season.  My Purina guy can have anything  on Tuesday, as long as order in by previous Friday. That's service , and worth a lot.
  • Shane Kirschten

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 09:57:33 am »
Kgb, I would agree that energy is the limiting factor on BF wether sheep , although not sure that increasing fat in the ration is the best way to address that.
  • Shane Kirschten

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 04:44:52 pm »
Lee, we feed the Honor creep fed and  have for 3 to 4 years.  I have my own ration that is similar from a feed analysis but the lambs don't eat it quite as well and we don't get the bloom on them.  The number 1 advantage of the Honor creep feed and a similar "show feed/creep feeds" are they are highly palatable to young lambs.  Regardless of the percent protein, fat and minerals you got to get the lamb to eat a lot to get the bloom kids like to pay for. 

I  haven't decided if I'm going to feed it this year or not as our local mill would do just like BI's, and get you whatever you want if you order by Tuesday.  I think they lost their dealer status due to low volume so I have found another local dealer yet. 
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 05:04:32 am »
Don, Are you talking about the EXP15?
I have used the 20% Honor creep and liked the results and loved the way it smelled. The lambs ate it well but I can not say that consumption was any better than the ShowRite creep that I normally use. The lambs like it too. Just looking for results of the EXP 15 from start to weaning. I have got a few responses privately and so far nothing bad. I think I'm going to give it a try this year. Actually tomorrow:)
  • Lee Meyers

Chuckles450

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 06:06:06 pm »
Lee, we've used it for a couple years now and don't have any complaints. Once our lambs get started on it they do really well.
  • Charley Austin

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 08:17:53 pm »
Good deal Charley, thank you!
  • Lee Meyers

Kgb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 10:04:50 am »
Shane:

For pre-ruminant lambs (under 45 days old or so) fat is the best choice in my opinion.  Fat deposition at an age prior to maturity comes from energy left over after meeting maintenance and then production requirements.  Again, in my opinion there is no other way to do that in fast growing young lambs than fat in the diet.
  • Kevin Burgoon