Author Topic: Showing Ewe lambs verses wethers  (Read 5018 times)

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
Showing Ewe lambs verses wethers
« on: January 14, 2016, 11:23:31 am »
Tomorrow is our county show.  My son shows medium wool lambs.  He has opted to take his two ewes who are going to the San Antonio wether dam show in February.  These girls weigh 124 and 147.  My husband wants him to take his wethers who are weighing 100, 124 and 138.  My son and I feel the ewe lambs are just more complete at this time and will do better for the county show.  My husband the local FFA teacher are convinced that ewe lambs will not outplace the other wethers.  I don't see the difference, except his ewe lambs are just in better overall condition than the wethers  who are heading to Houston and San Antonio. Does anyone have an opinion in general of ewe lambs verses wethers and how they typically place when up against each other.  Just curious of others opinions.  All lambs are Brister breeding and all are very nice.  Just at different stages at this time. Just curious...thanks.
  • Daylene Knight

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Showing Ewe lambs verses wethers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:37 pm »
The best sheep should win regardless of it being a ewe or wether. Wethers tend to carry maturity better, as ewes will start getting broody as they get some age on them. This ewe lamb here took champion market lamb at Surf N' Turf, which is a pretty competitive jackpot. So it can be done.

Maybe take both. Your best ewe and your best wether and see how it goes.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »
I agree.  He is taking the two ewe lambs that are his San Antonio Wether Dams and his youngest wether, his Houston bound guy.  Figure that puts one in each weight class..light weight, medium and heavy. It's a small county show so the competition can be sparse, but still nice to take good solid lambs and place well.
  • Daylene Knight

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 01:10:44 pm »
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • Crystal Emsoff

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 06:31:34 pm »
At a young age 4-8mo an equal quality ewe lamb will place above the wether, because she will reach market condition earlier.  At older than that the wether will place better because ewe lamb will begin to handle softer.  They simply mature differently, just depends what age you intsnd on showing them.  We show alot of ewe lambs in market classes and do well with them, but by 9months old I know they will handle pretty soft.
  • Cindy Kendrick

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 04:17:05 am »
quite agree with Cindy and Crystal.  Some of the highest placing lambs my kids showed were ewe lambs showed in market classes.  But depending on the specific genes somewhere around 8-9 months our ewes started looking broodier (like mature ewes) and same age wethers would show better. So, if the lambs that age now, another month could be critical.  If they are 6-7 months age it's probably fine. If over 8-9 months, IMO it's a real crap shoot on how long you can keep them looking great.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 06:20:58 am »
His San Antonio Wether Dam ewe was Reserve Grand Champion Lamb at our county show.  Very proud of him and his "girl".
  • Daylene Knight

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:29:09 am »
Ewe go girl!  Great showman and great lamb, regardless of sex, always make a great combination!  Congratulations on a well deserved win!
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:40:15 am »
Wonderful! I guess that answers your question! Post a picture. 😃
  • Crystal Emsoff