Author Topic: Lamb with scours/coccidiosis  (Read 21658 times)

Symonomonymonom

• View Profile
Lamb with scours/coccidiosis
« on: June 19, 2016, 01:22:14 pm »
We recently had a lamb brought into our barn that had been purchased through an auction. About last Tuesday, he became very sick - scours, moaning, lethargy, and blood in his stool the following morning. After taking fecal samples to the vet, we found that there were a large population of coccidia in his system. Our vet gave us some Corid to treat him & the other three lambs with (as they likely picked up the coccidia from being in contact with him) and we've now completed the treatment but he continues to have scours. They're getting electrolytes in their water and he's been on and off his feed. In addition to the coccidiosis, he's just developed sore mouth, but he's showing more interest in eating than he was. He's really lost a lot of weight. Is there anything that I can do to help curb the scours & put some weight on him?
  • Rachel

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
Re: Lamb with scours/coccidiosis
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »
If you gave the Corid at label dosage it likely had very little effect.
If using the premixed Corid, Drench it full strength to each individual lamb for 5 days straight at a rate of 1 1/2 ml per 10  lbs. bodyweight (15ml/100 lbs.). Give a shot of vitamin B complex on the 3rd day. Repeat this 5 day treatment every 3-4 weeks.
If using the powder Corid, mix it 5/8 cup per 16oz. water, then drench at the same rate.
  • Lee Meyers

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:26:26 pm »
Some people swear by Corid, some swear at it. I suspect its effectiveness depends on whether the strain you are dealing with is resistant to Corid or not. It sounds to me like you are dealing with a resistant strain. Most people find that sulfadimethoxine (Albon or Sulmet) is most effective. Give the cattle dosage.

As far as feed, if he's reluctant to eat his grain, make sure you are giving him plenty of hay. His gut is pretty damaged and hay will help get it back on track.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:07:50 pm »
I have yet to experince or hear of anyone else experiencing the Corid not working if given at the rate I showed.
I think it is more likely to say that the Corid was under dosed than to say that your dealing with a resistant strain.
  • Lee Meyers

Symonomonymonom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »
After analyzing the fecal samples, the vet said we were dealing with 2 strains of coccidiosis. Since he knew this, I'm betting that he gave us the proper medication & dosage. The lambs were getting 30mL daily for 5 days. He seems improved - he's more active, showing interest in eating - but his diarrhea still persists.
  • Rachel

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:21:44 pm »
Lee, Corid has always worked well enough for me at the labeled dosage, but I know some say it doesn't work for them. I cannot speak as to the dosage they give. Fortunately there are multiple products available so if one doesn't work, hopefully the other does.

How runny are the scours? Coccidosis, especially if severe, damages the intestinal lining. It which take a few days, even after treatment, for the stool to firm up. If it's mushy, I won't worry too much but liquidy/runny, I would be concerned that he needs continued treatment. Keep in mind too, that because of the damage, the lamb may fail to thrive for a few weeks or even a couple months. If treated early, before too much damage occurs they bounce back pretty quickly, but the fact that there was blood in the stool and he was in physical pain suggests to me that it was pretty severe.
  • Crystal Emsoff

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 03:46:39 pm »
I can only suggest what I have experienced to work for me and many others. It's up to you if you want to try it.
Symonomonymonom, you will find that many vets don't know much about sheep. I am fortunate enough to have an experienced sheep breeder for a vet.
  • Lee Meyers

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 10:25:24 pm »
I would run another fecal just to see if the coccidiosis is gone.  Also give the lamb Probios for 5 days or so.  I was taught that when drenching with Corid (and perhaps other coccidiostats) that it kills off the good bacteria in the gut.  When drenching with Corid in the morning, give Probios in the evening.  Continue the Probios for 2 or 3 days after you complete the course of Corid.  Hope your lamb gets healthy soon.
  • Laura Overton

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 01:22:21 pm »
i dont believe corid has any  or only minimal impact on bacteria  in the gut. The potential is for polio to follow treatment with corid. Hence the advice to use b 12 or B complex or thiamine. Sheep do not get b 12 from normal sources like other livestock. They must manufacturer it. Corid blocks that mechanism,  which cocidia also need. so by stopping thiamine/b 12 production, the cocidia die. And its kills both kinds. However the lamb needs the thiamine to prevent polio. So the trick is to kill the cocci without killing the lamb.
and if severe,damage is permanent and lambs never recover.
this was topic of "bull session" one evening at Sedalia.  Most breeders fought this this year,particully in March lambs in my flock.
 I may not lamb in march , or may be going back to using rumensen in that gruop of ewes / lambs.
Here, lactasoid ( bovatech) does nothing unless fed at very high rate in lambs.
i have couple "march skeletons " left walking. Likly will knock them tommorrow,  as I am tired of looking at them and taking up a pen in my barn.

My thoughts are here, during that cold snow,hot,wet,mud,rain, time line, lambs drink from puddles in the yards. They get infected and overwhelms thier system. Early lambs are on frozen ground anf aprils  are on concrete.  Only gruop I ever have problems with is Marchs. And usually only 1. But this  year had 3 of these.
  • Shane Kirschten

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »
Shane, Really enjoyed conversation with you and Mike and wish we could have had more.
I really think your thoughts on infestation in that age group was interesting and to add to it, I believe that I cause or at least help the condition to worsen in that age group due to lack of attention. Sad but true. Early lambs get more attention. I start the Corid treatments at 3-4 weeks of age. I sometimes don't get around to the early treatment on the later ones and then struggle to get them to convert feed after weaning. Your solution for them is probably the way to go. Would free up some space in the barn too. Lol. 
  • Lee Meyers

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:22:39 am »
I have more issues once things start thawing out too. And Lee, you aren't alone. Those late lambs get neglected compared to the early lambs. I had it running through my late set of May lambs due to the rapid weather changes. I never got around to treating them and it cleared up in a few days. I am guessing, with it being dry, they just got a light load and were able to clear it compared to the earlier spring lambs that are contending with heavier loads due to mud. We did finally buy a tractor so that will REALLY help with keeping pens cleaner and drier in the winter/spring, so hoping that helps. I have found that it's much less of a problem when I add Deccox to the ewes' salt prior to lambing. But again, this gets missed with the later lambers.
  • Crystal Emsoff

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »
Anybody use Baycox?  Popular over seas, not approved in US, but easy to get. 
  • Cindy Kendrick

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:04 pm »
Never heard of it.
  • Crystal Emsoff

ARLambs

• View Profile
  • Cindy Kendrick

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:19:08 pm »
Last year we used Marquis sp? with great success.  It took a while to get the script and my recollection it was really expensive.  So this year we didn't do it and our experience with March lambs is apparently the same as others.  I thought I got the idea from ARLambs, and it looks like if that's true you guys aren't using it anymore or at least thinking of not using it.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.