Author Topic: Lamb with scours/coccidiosis  (Read 21758 times)

ARLambs

• View Profile
Re: Lamb with scours/coccidiosis
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 06:48:09 pm »
We are still using Marquis, runs us about $1/lamb, we give a single dose at weaning.  Baycox looks more cost effective and would be dosed earlier. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:50:00 pm by ARLambs »
  • Cindy Kendrick

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 11:04:25 am »
I know in our area it became unavailable...yes, expensive but very effective. Marquis was a great product.  Can others still get it?  It's actually a horse medication so you have to know a sheep and goat vet who understands how it works. Maybe that became a widespread problem.  I know we just couldn't get it anymore the last 2 years.
  • Daylene Knight

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 06:20:08 am »
Was not happy with experience with Marquis either.  Use 40% sulfadimethoxine injectable currently with corid oral. 
  • Rex Cole

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 07:14:24 pm »
pen is empty and compost heap is fuller.
I dont think I neglect them any more,but  typically dont lamb wether ewes in that time. Last year had a couple old ewes lamb late and couple ewe lambs get bred early. Will moniter that better. The commercial ewes that lamb during that time, have no issues.
I still think fundamentally it goes back to immune system . The ones I have problems with are
1-old or thin ewes getting one last crop. They milk way less and lambs are borderline  thinner. Also believe that impaired milk production  will comprimise  immune function in the offspring. Likely because of poor colostrum production or quality.
2- 1st time moms with twins on. Over 65 percent of my hamp and dorset ewe lambs had twins . Again, lower colostrum  and milk production first parity. This gruop is still getting thier  immune systems firing on all cylinders, so cant expect the abs to be all that and bag of chips.

Always good to visit Lee , and looks like you found something to feed the addiction. NO Shortage of rams here. The Klienert ram and 2 sons will see service and the yearling  that worked will as well.
Bringing back the Amyx Dorset ,may not use the Daniels ram, picked up one from Jay Nelson to sample,a son of the Daniels ram still here, and semen sales abound.
no shortage of ram options to feed the demon☺

• Shane Kirschten

EJG

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 06:37:05 am »
I really appreciate your discussion about coccidiosis.  My daughter and I are on our 3rd day of treating two lambs penned together with corid due to mushy feces.  They have not gone off feed.  I am treating them at 2.5 ML per gallon of water. Does this sound right? Do I treat the other two lambs housed in another pen about 50 feet away from the infected one's? Thanks for your input...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:43:39 am by EJG »
  • Eliud Garcia

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 11:16:49 am »
I wouldn't expect that small of a dosage to have any affect on a coccidia load. Only way to know how much an individual lamb is consuming is to drench them individually. Do all lambs at the dosage rate I gave at the beginning of this post. They quite often get a moister stool by the 3rd day of treatments, due to shedding the coccidia, but will solid up by the 4th or 5th day. These treatments are very effective for more than just the clinical signs like diarrhea. They will make a big difference in appetite and feed conversion.
  • Lee Meyers