Author Topic: Appetite help  (Read 11386 times)

jpercell

• View Profile
Re: Appetite help
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 09:11:12 pm »
What is actual name of Sure Champ product??
  • jason percell

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 05:44:40 pm »
I haven't tried the Sure Champ product but have been using the Gut Candy and am definitely sold. Seems that everyone that tries it is the same. I also this year tried the OnTract which is also made by the same people and it is designed to get your ewes in the best condition for breeding from a nutritional perspective and all I can say is I got my best take rates ever for a May LAI. Three Sisters Sheep fed the same product and she got even better take rates than I did and mine were impressive. Now the semen was fresh and in talking with Logan MacLennan he says he takes ten extra steps to make sure the fresh semen he ships is of the highest quality and I know when I looked at it, he is right it looked awesome but it was still out of season breeding so I'm sold for sure.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 11:53:45 am »
The use of B vitamins and probiotics will do a lot to increase intake and conversion.  A quick check will confirm they are the base products of the appetite enhancement products marketed under various names.
  • Rex Cole

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »
The basic ingredients of gut candy are yeast cultures and a lot of probiotics. I am not a nutritionist like Tony Scott so I don't know if that translates to vitamin B :).
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 08:52:24 am »
yeast cultures, probiotics, rumen bacteria--synonymous  to some degree.  B-12 is synthesized by micro-flora in the rumen and  addition of B-12 is beneficial in times of stress as needs may not be met.  Would guess gut candy contains cobalt also to facilitate B-12 synthesis.  Am not questioning gut candy or its feasibility just explaining process.  Many products aimed at the same aspect of rumen function are available and will help.  There is no doubt that a healthy rumen is the basis of sound ruminant nutrition and these products are aimed at that goal.
  • Rex Cole

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 05:33:32 pm »
Makes perfect sense to me  ;)
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Bosephus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49:44 am »
We did try vitamin b and probiotics helped a little but still wasn't eating like lambs of the past so we tried switching feed to associated lamb slam after getting him slowly switched over he absolutely loves eating now so thank you all for the help
  • Peter Tibbits