Author Topic: LAI results  (Read 9422 times)

Gtown

• View Profile
LAI results
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:44:25 pm »
I use received the results of the LAI from May 25th. We dropped a little from the 90% that we got last fall. We are at exactly 75% from this spring.

If you are in the PNW I would highly recommend Martin Dally from Super Sire Ltd. 
  • Josh Golob
Raising club lambs and breeding stock in Granger, WA

Bosephus

• View Profile
Re: LAI results
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:42:57 pm »
Was that with fresh or frozen Semen
  • Peter Tibbits

Gtown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:25:56 am »
Fresh semen was 23 out of 30. Frozen was 1 out of 2.
  • Josh Golob
Raising club lambs and breeding stock in Granger, WA

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 12:07:16 pm »
I've been hearing that a lot of people had pretty good conception rates this year. But this is going to be an exciting lambing season! Congratulations!
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:04:46 am »
Congrats Josh!  Good luck with lambing!!
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:42:01 am »
I wonder if people are realizing that following the recommended protocols for ewes is very important and if success rates are going up because of that.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 03:49:18 pm »
I think you're right Don.  Following the protocol can't be stressed enough.  The other components, ewe reproductive soundness, technician skill and semen quality, are equally important for success. 
  • Laura Overton

Chuckles450

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:31:10 am »
Congrats on the great results! What Rams did you use?
  • Charley Austin

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 11:25:46 pm »
I'm not sure if it is paying attention to protocols or if we just know more than we did before.  Case in point, it wasn't until I read Tad Thompson's protocols that I knew that you should limit alfalfa and corn.  This was the first year I did that.  I also am a firm believer in semen quality.  When I asked Logan MacLennan about the outstanding quality of the Burn semen, he said that he performs an additional 10 extra steps to ensure the fresh semen he sends is that good as he wants the customer to be happy.  He also guarantees enough fresh semen to LAI 30 ewes but sends enough to do about 45 and recommends that you implant 45.  That way if of the straws are accidentally ruined or the tech uses to much you still have more than enough so he does not have to worry about a refund.  In my book this is called customer service.  So we implanted 42, unfortunately one ewe did not survive the process (this was a first) have 30 pregnant ewes which means I got exactly what I paid from a semen perspective and he has an extremely happy customer. Too bad all semen sales are not handled this way.  I am pretty spoiled at this point and plan on checking out MacLennan rams to purchase full fresh draws from now on!!!     
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 05:12:28 pm »
As several of my ewes are getting round :), I thought I'd weigh in with my May results.

Starting with my first spring LAI in May of 2015:  Viking Genetics at Modesto Junior College:  4 bred to Tomcat, 4 pregnant=100% (6 lambs)!

May 24, 2016: Viking Genetics at Modesto Junior College: 6 bred to Tomcat, 5 pregnant=83.33% (excited for October!)

May 28, 2016: Rule Sheep at Delta College: 4 bred to Angry Dragon, 0 pregnant=0%  ???

Identical protocol with each of the three May clinics.  Travel time to MJC is 20 minutes & Delta College 40 minutes.  Clinics scheduled 4 days apart.  The only real difference that I can see between the clinics is the semen. 

Very happy repeat customer of Viking Genetics.  Great customer service with Viking as well!!  Guess where my $$$ will go next May!
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 07:50:15 am »
Interesting. Was there a difference in semen preparation (fresh vs. frozen)?
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 09:25:14 am »
I'm not sure about Angry Dragon but Tomcat was frozen both times.
  • Laura Overton

HTP Southdowns

• View Profile
    • HTP Southdowns
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 05:45:58 am »
Karin,
Can you link the article on limiting corn and alfalfa?
  • Tim Tolliver

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 09:01:21 am »
We had a long haul last year to our AI clinic, 5 hrs each way.  Bred 6 frozen semen from Viking.  Got 3 to settle.  This year we did 5 with frozen semen from Shroyer.  30min haul to AI Clinic. Got 4 to settle and the other one got a perforated rumen and had to have an open abdominal surgery to repair it, so she didn't even get the semen. 
  • Cindy Kendrick

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 09:26:24 pm »
It is not an article but a recommendation in on of the protocols.  It recommends to limit corn and alfalfa 30 days prior to the LAI.  I am not sure why. But I did it this May and with such a great take rate will continue to do this in the future.  I have also since had it recommended that wheat hay actually helps increase take rates.  Has anyone else heard this? 
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs