Author Topic: Off ewe  (Read 2005 times)

Polymom

• View Profile
Off ewe
« on: October 21, 2016, 04:41:08 pm »
I have a 9 year old ewe that is not bred yet.  She was always the pet of the flock and the biggest pig!  The last couple of months, she just hasn't been herself.  She doesn't come for treats and hangs back while the others eat. Often she is lying down away from the rest of the flock.  Her feet are good as are her teeth.  We have temped her a few times over the past few weeks and no temp.  We penned her with some market lambs a month ago and she was eating well and acting more normal so we put her back with the ewe flock and she started acting off again.  Today we  noticed her ears were cold and her temp was at 100.2.  Any thoughts on what could be wrong with her?
  • Julie Terpstra

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Off ewe
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 07:49:42 am »
We have a 10 year old ewe that has decided she doesn't need to go out to pasture with the other ewes anymore.  This caused her to get fairly thin.  Finally, I put her in the barn alleys and she eats grass from our back yard and I give her grain every day.  If I put her with the other ewes, I'm sure she'd not eat enough pasture and her temperature would drop like you see in your ewe.  In a few days I will separate the rams back from the ewes and put all my ewe lambs in a pen where they get better feed then the older ewes.  Our pastures are just about done too so I'll put the old lady with the ewe lambs for the winter.  Lucky for this ewe she's the mother of multiple stud rams we've used and several of our best ewes so I tolerate  her self promotion to royal status.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Polymom

• View Profile
Re: Off ewe
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:01:09 pm »
Don, we giggled at the "self-proclaimed royal status".  We have moved her into the shed and put her in with a ram lamb.  She seems happier now getting feed but still isn't eating hay.
  • Julie Terpstra