Author Topic: Leasing a ram  (Read 4275 times)

Barton

• View Profile
Leasing a ram
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:50:24 am »
I have acquired a second ram so I would like to lease my other ram.  I am interested to know what others charge per ewe when leasing out a ram for breeding.  Also does the fee guarantee a live birth per ewe bred?  At this time I am thinking of having the second party take my ram to their farm for breeding.
  • Emily Barton

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Leasing a ram
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 01:33:57 pm »
In my experience fees are either per ewe or for a time period.  If per ewe it's typical that the ewe is guaranteed bred, which is different that a live birth.  Rates would start at $35 / ewe and go up depending on ram quality and number of ewes.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »
50 per head. No guarantee  .Ram is fertile and settled ewes at my farm. Have 2 out right now. Both parties have ewes not cycling. Not my rams fault.No assurance  of live lambs or any lambs really.Not in my control.
Ram dies , you own me "sum agreed  upon before ram leaves"
People have to pay to play.

• Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 09:17:03 pm »
When we have leased, it was an agreed upon fee for a set number of days and set number of ewes. I have heard horror stories too of people getting rams back in half starved condition so I stipulated in the contract that if the ram lost more than a named reasonable amount, they would pay extra. It also lined out how much would be owed if the ram died.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:00:58 am »
Most of the time (probably all), I've leased rams only to people that have previously purchased sheep from me.  As a general rule, if someone buys a ewe lamb from me in and only has sheep from me, I will offer to let them bring the ewe lamb back to get bred for free that fall.  It's not uncommon for them to then in  year 2 ask if they could lease a ram.  If we are leasing a ram that's likely to sire decent show lambs, we start at $50/ewe.  If it's a ram with a more commercial orientation then we start at $35/ewe.  If it's a ram that's worth more than $1,000 we have the discussion about what happens if he should die.  If I lease a ram that I'm done with and was planning to ship I don't worry that much about it as the lease fee they've paid is probably already more than what he'd bring as a slaughter ram.

It's usually small flocks that want to lease my rams and since they've paid decent money for ewes from me I try to help them out by letting them have access to decent rams at a reasonable price.  If they stay in it long enough I then may propose that they buy a new ram jointly with me.

With our NSIP side of our program, having the same ram used in multiple flocks is important to get the genetic links established.  In those cases I've lent out rams to other flocks to get a better link.  In the future if I do that, I will do it probably only in 2 conditions.  One would be we are each swapping comparable rams that year.  If not, I'd stipulate that the people using my rams couldn't sell any rams sired by my ram.  I've found that invariably without that stipulation, lambs sired by my rams, or sons of my rams are offered at sales competing with my genetics.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:03:52 am by Don Drewry »
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.