Author Topic: Infertile ram  (Read 12066 times)

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
Re: Infertile ram
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 01:46:07 pm »
Crystal, We were trying to get semen on my old Handcock ram and his semen was ok but not quite good enough to freeze. Glen had me feed wheat germ for a month, put him with a couple Cidered ewes and 30 days later he was perfect. He was eight years old. I swear by the stuff.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Deemer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 02:55:46 pm »
Thanks Karin. We've had having some heat related sterility.
From what I've heard there has been more than usual this year in my area anyway.
  • Tracy Deemer

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 07:29:27 pm »
Did you buy him from the breeder or was he a second hand purchase?
  • Jimmy Davis

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 10:13:40 am »
Jimmy, not from original breeder.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:07 pm »
That could pose a problem. I'm sure most breeders stand behind the fertility of the rams they sell, I know I have. Buying one second-hand might be more of an issue. A seller might not feel obligated to stand behind him since he wasn't the breeder. If he got lambs from him last year, he might feel like it's a problem that occurred after you purchased him. I'm not saying I agree with that philosophy, just saying that might be the case. Some type of infection is most likely the cause and can usually be corrected, it just takes time. I'd have him checked again and if still no good, contact the seller and see what he might be willing to do.
I bought a yearling at Sedalia one year that had been used by the breeder as a lamb. When I had him tested, the vet said he was no good and never would be. I contacted the seller. He said he would refund my money or replace him, but wanted me to contact his son-in-law, who is a vet, and see what he recommended. He gave me an antibiotic and wheat germ protocol to follow and the ram came back around and I used him for several years. The breeder also loaned me a ram lamb (son of the ram I bought) to use in the meantime.
  • Jimmy Davis

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 07:38:07 pm »
What antibiotic? I don't HAVE to use him for another month or two, so if he is on the mend I can deal with it. The first vet didn't see any sign of epididymitis.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 06:10:39 am »
He had me give 10cc penicillin one day and 10cc Baytril the next. Alternate for 8 days. Sounds excessive but it worked.
  • Jimmy Davis

ColdCreek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 07:47:05 am »
Nuflor for two weeks every other day was advised by a vet for a ram lamb we tested last summer and he came around in time to sire some February lambs.
  • Ken Parrott

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 10:12:01 pm »
We also had a ram with an infection and used Nuflor. It took awhile but he came back with wheat germ therapy.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 05:14:32 am »
Jimmy, I don't know the specific  laws in California.  But, generally speaking any animal sold as a stud would have an implicit warranty that he was capable of siring offspring.  If the purchase price was the same as slaughter price as a sale barn then such a warranty wouldn't apply.  But, when the seller has charged a premium price for a stud, then unless explicitly not warrantied it would usually be assumed to be so capable.  Whether or not the seller raised or had purchased the animal would not have any legal impact even if it may have an impact on the sellers desire to so warranty him.

In this case since the ram was used out of season, that wouldn't be considered a warrantable situation but if he's still not settling ewes this time of year it would be more of a problem.  Some states don't have an statute that warrants studs are so capable.  In those cases it would really depend on how an animal was described.  In my opinion it would be fairly difficult to sell a ram and not make a de facto commitment that he would be capable of siring lambs.  In most cases things like this are settled between the buyer and seller without resorting to a small claims court.  Few sellers wish to have it public knowledge that they don't stand behind their breeding stock.  In this case, I'd sure have a hard time not feeling an obligation if I sold a ram to a well established breeder and they didn't get lambs out of him.  If it was a new breeder and there was evidence of poor feed and/or housing and no semen test I'd be a lot more reluctant but would offer an alternative ram all the same.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 08:00:23 am »
Got a good update on the ram. He was checked again yesterday and was up to 50% viable sperm. He also settled one ewe. So a few more weeks and he should be good to go. I am relieved!
  • Crystal Emsoff

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 06:27:33 am »
The ram should be capable of siring offspring on the day of the sale. It would be the buyers right and obligation to ask for health papers and semen test results. Without that kind of paper trail it becomes an "honor system" transaction. Which I think most sellers will work with the buyer to make restitutions.  After the animal is on the buyers property for a period of time it becomes pretty hard, for the seller, to stand behind what they haven't controlled.
Definitely glad it's working out for you Crystal.
  • Lee Meyers

tiler

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 05:02:21 pm »
Crystal,

IIRC, wheat germ is high in lysine. We have always fed our boarder line rams a tea spoon of lysine. Buy it from our local feed mill. They may have to order it, but it is cheaper and as effective, if not more than wheat germ oil.
  • Tom Moser