Author Topic: MWSRS Thoughts  (Read 15340 times)

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MWSRS Thoughts
« on: June 27, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »
Josh Robinson had 3 yearlings in his first comsignment, they looked very consistent and placed well, not sure how they sold but to get 6th yearling ewe in both odd and even classes for a first time flock was pretty impressive to me.

Williams having two rams one overall wether style champion and the otheone of these daysr champion Suffolk was pretty cool to see. Was no questions in my mind who had the ram with the most interest.

As always the Shroyer ewes looked great, I'm going to actually buy some.

I thought Ellerbrock sheep had the most thickness in their sheep I can recall.

Seemed like Ott sold much better than they placed.

I thought Slacks we're the most consistent set.

Clay Elliot's reserve was really hard not to bid more on, he wasn't quite the type I think I need this year. IMO  he was the best deal of the sale.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Robinson Livestock

• View Profile
Re: MWSRS Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »
Don,
      I really appreciate the kind words about our consignment. I was extremely excited how they placed, and I think they all found great new homes. It sure is fun attending the sale, and it always seems like it is over so quickly. The Williams' rams looked great , and the Shroyer ewes are really impressive in person. It's amazing to me how their ewes combine size, structure, and muscle. I didn't get to see the reserve Elliott ram sale, but he looked great in the show. I really liked the Begalka March ram lamb, and it will be interesting to find out where those two ram lambs now call home. I guess the fun is over for this year, but I am already looking forward to next year.
  • Jerrod Robinson

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:48:18 am »
Still a couple of hours from home but on a pitstop.
I really enjoyed taking a couple of lambs this year and was happy to get them sold. Both are now living in Missouri. Kinda funny that the buyer's last name is Meyers and even spelled the same. Not sure if I've even met another Meyers that spells it the same let alone one that buys my sheep. My personalized scrapie tags will work great for them ! Lol.
Great to talk to you Jimmy, Rex, Shane, Darren & Cindy. Sorry I missed you Don.
As for the show, I was really disappointed. There were some very good sheep there mainly thanks to Ellerbrock's,  Slack's & Simpson's.
Others like A/E , Rule, Begalka... had some great ones too just not as many consignments.
Where was everybody?
Franklin
Duffey
Estes
McIlrath
Wise
Stitzlien
Clair
BJ Wright
Wheaton
A few others like Cabaniss, Miller, Shroyer, etc... were there but a lot less entries than in the past.
There was probably at least 50 -75 head of quality sheep, not there this year. Made it easy to sort through and find the good ones (for everyone!)
I think that most good ones brought too much money due to demand outweighing supply.  I know online sales are probably a lot to blame.
Still a fun trip but kind of a bummer.
  • Lee Meyers

SnarkyArkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:37:38 pm »
Weather was HOT as usual on Wednesday and Thursday but couldn't ask for better weather on Friday and Saturday. We were disappointed that Wheaton, Mcilrath and Duffey weren't there. Enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed the folks. Sale was run well, thanks to all the vendors for the free food, thanks to Rex for telling us who all was serving that food and for keeping my teenager in one piece for the week. He was dog tired yesterday but ready to do it again today.

Dustin found only one ewe lamb in that whole barn he had to have. The $10,500 Elliott ewe. Liked a few others but not enough to chase them as far as the Elliott ewe. He liked the Harrell April cross ewe but we were penned next to them and watched how many people and who they were going in to look at her so we figured she went high. Didn't stay to find out though. I might be a little heart broke if she didn't go too high. Needless to say we came home from Sedalia with an empty trailer for the first time. Dustin's unused Sedalia budget will likely go towards AI this fall. He really had no plans of getting a bidder number this year but seeing a donor daughter from the same ewe as Opulence, Dirty 30, and Integrity was pretty tough for him to overlook... BUT it sure was easy to get outbid. Awesome time as always. See you all next year in Sedalia for sure.
  • Darren Kendrick

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »
California guys have always been hit and miss coming Lee.   Some of the above on your list have had some family issues to deal with. Nice to meet people, and I left after hamp sale. I was tired and if left early could make it home to my own bed last night.  I also had some transfer sheep to connect  with, so missed meeting some of the regulars that I normally come to see.  Over all, I liked the changes, and thought the hamps sold very well , as did the Dorsets the day before.
Should have been something for about any program to add to,depending on funding.

I had bought a hamp ram earlier in the year, and was glad . The ones I would have liked, would have inflicted some serious pain , and like Snarky, might have resorted to LAI. I think that spending to 10 k to have Glenn Ericson equip and train me, and then utilizing purchased semen, might still be a bargain, compared to some of the rams.
I did not get a chance to show you the  MGD son from Klienert I had on the trailer. He is more impressive than when I looked at him & weeks ago. A May 2 nd 2014  model that still has a tight lamb mouth. Based on that and his youthful head, he may be younger than some of the offerings sold , that were listed as much younger. 
However, I always like carnivals and freak shows, so Sedalia is on my annual bucket list.
😀
  • Shane Kirschten

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »
My picks for the ram and ewe I would most liked to have bought...
February Hamp ram lamb  lot #3272 - Jeffrey
April Hamp ewe lamb  lot # 3325 - Rule
  • Lee Meyers

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 04:30:28 pm »
I thought Joe Harrell's ewes were among the most impressive there. The April ewe discussed above brought $6000. My pick of the sale was his yearling ewe that brought $8500.
  • Jimmy Davis

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:05 pm »
Jimmy, I also liked Joes ewes a lot.  Lots of sheep there. Did not sort them hard. Any I would have "found" would have exceeded my budget. Maybe next year. The Begalka Ram lambs were interesting  pieces, and it is quite obviuos the ellerbrock brothers E-roc sons are working. Various people who bought sons last year , had nice consignments, albeit less known breeders. But the patterns were very consistent with what E-rocs have had. So something in that direction may be worth pursueing, if that is a direction you like.
  • Shane Kirschten

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 06:43:16 pm »
90% of Harrells ewes were sired by an Eroc son as well.
  • Lee Meyers

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 06:45:00 pm »
Of their ewe lambs that is.
  • Lee Meyers

SnarkyArkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 10:05:38 pm »
I agree Jimmy. The Harrell pen was complete but the April was a stand out, at least for what we were looking for, a great show lamb/great breeding ewe. I am glad they got that price for her. If she sold for under $4,000 I would have been a little sad I didn't stay.

I did observe many potential buyers seem to not mind a weaker hip loin more this year. I was surprised at some of the sheep that were being handled by certain people. I hope this isn't a start of a new trend. That was about the only minor disappointment of this years sale. Otherwise 2 thumbs up from us.
  • Darren Kendrick

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 05:41:48 am »
Snarkie,Willard  McLaughlin and I had a lenghty conversation about that , as we observed several classes. We both did not think it is "weak" per say  in most. Most breeders may have slightly exceeded the threshold of level hipped sheep and some have the sheep post legged as well. Sheep no longer have enough flex to  keep the legs under them and walk.  The sickled hocked sheep did  Break in that area worse than the post legged ones, when they tried to show the sickle out of them on the drive.  At any rate, it will sort itself out.  It always does.   In the Ram side, many were more than a little "tight" when they tried to walk.    A lot of "young money" breeders don't care about that, only looking at how level hipped, big boned, fuzzy, ect.   And there were a few high placing sheep that were just flat bad in that area, as well, but I guess the other pieces overshadowed that glaring fault. This year also had a large population of long bodied sheep, which will accentuate that. Last couple of years ,a lot of short bodied sheep were in attendance. They dont show that problem as bad. I think most still want longer bodied sheep, so would imagine it will get better as breeders find the middle ground.  This business appears to still be dominated by extreme pieces with most rams on one end of the spectrum and most ewes on the other end.  It's always a fun trip
  • Shane Kirschten

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 08:14:28 am »
I really liked the Shroyer ewes also. I bought some Liquid Courage semen while there. I thought he was very unique.
  • Jimmy Davis

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:01 am »
I didn't make the sale, but was surprised by the relatively small number of breeders in the catalog. I didn't count them up, but I think there as many breeders, if not as many sheep, at Reno as there were at Sedalia. Seemed that there were more lesser known breeders at Reno than Seldalia.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

ksjoat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 08:23:58 am »
I thought the numbers looked down.  What did everyone think of the Williams buck that Despain bought?  I think he will be a good fit for him. 
  • Kim Squires