Author Topic: Reducing Scar tissue in healing wounds  (Read 6282 times)

iluvlambs2

• View Profile
Reducing Scar tissue in healing wounds
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:35:19 pm »
We had our 3 show lambs attacked by dogs at our Ag Farm just 2 weeks ago.  We were lucky in that they did survive but have some bad wounds on their shoulder, rib and hind quarter areas. My question is how do we reduce the scar tissue that might form as the wounds are healing as too keep the touch and feel of their muscles and finish as natural to a judge as possible?  One wound is especially bad as the skin flap that was sewn down by vet is not viable and now have a an area of about 3 x 5 inches that is just granulation tissue that we have been told to cleanse with chlorahexidine, apply silvadene crème once daily and leave open to air.  This wound is located in the forerib area right behind the shoulder in the spot most judges feel for finish.  I appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Thank you so much!
  • Rita Murphy

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Reducing Scar tissue in healing wounds
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:43:24 pm »
Fortunately, scars shouldn't affect a lamb's placing in the ring. The biggest concern with dog bites is infection. Work closely with your vet to keep the lambs on an aggressive antibiotic regime until the wounds begin healing. Beyond that, I like Corona ointment a lot. Seems to hasten skin healing and speed hair regrowth. I wouldn't use it one large, gaping wounds, but once they start closing up and healing, it may be useful.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

iluvlambs2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:59:55 pm »
Thank you very much.  I was under the assumption that if a judge felt a hard mass, knot or saw big scars that he would place the lamb lower that if the lamb didn't have these imperfections. We sheered the lambs several days after the tragedy as I really wanted to see and be able to palpate around the wounds to watch for infection. So far so good but  I will definitely get some corona as there are definitely areas without wool! 
  • Rita Murphy

MizLiz

• View Profile
    • Bohan Montadales & Club Lambs
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:22:09 pm »
On my horse about 5 years ago who got an aweful cut on his leg almost down to the tendons a friend recommended a certain brand of meat tenderizer, I want to say it started with an "A" like Alberts or something. Just little bit every day under the bandage and his scar tissue dissolved and you would never notice. Not sure about using it on market lambs but just thought I'd mention it.
  • Liz Bohan
Breeder of Montadales and Club Lambs

MizLiz

• View Profile
    • Bohan Montadales & Club Lambs
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 09:32:54 pm »
I looked it up, it's Adolf's. Used by several other horse people for proud flesh wounds. Once the scar tissue is gone you have to stop using it so it can heal. They mixed it with triple antibiotic ointment. Also a product called equidae that got a lot of positive results but I have not used it or know what's in it.
  • Liz Bohan
Breeder of Montadales and Club Lambs

Trutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
I'm sure you are taking it into account but be mindful that most antibiotic ointment and cremes do have a drug residue withdrawal time for them. Always heard the horror stories of someone failing a drug test because they had been putting neosporin on a cut.
  • Trey Rutherford

shadowran

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:15:32 am »
Granuflex works great I might have spelled it wrong but its a spray and heals great when done right you have to clean the wound and spray it on twice a day I have used on a real bad attack once
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

iluvlambs2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:59:41 pm »
Thank you everyone for your responses.  It was so nice to hear about other's success in healing wounds. 
  • Rita Murphy

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:15:52 am »
We have used a product called Underwoods that is also for horses, and it does wonders on areas to heal.  Mixes with baking soda or baking powder (I'd have to look) but prevents proud flesh on horses and have used it on a lamb's leg. It doesn't have any antibiotics in it.  Just for coating and healing.
  • Daylene Knight