Author Topic: MWSRS Thoughts  (Read 15378 times)

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MWSRS Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 08:57:12 am »
I really like that ram, and from what I heard at least 4 different major breeders were chasing him.  To me he's a vey practical sheep that is also in a very attractive, powerful package. There's a lot of top and leg. Ignoring all our fine points we chase in a show, he'd be able to work great as a commercial sire.  To be either a commercial sire or a show sheep sire. How many rams can say that?  I had two people tell me that they'd buy semen from me it I got him so he was like by several people.  I liked Tyson's ram that sold for $22K a lot too.  Glad I didn't wait for him.

I didn't look at the crossbred rams very much but the Allen/Kennedy/Middlesworth rams seemed to be pretty cool.  Rex's sheep looked the best I can recall.  Was tempted to pick one up but there was an Ellerbrock ewe lamb I was hoping I could get but I didn't.  Anyone else see lot 6094.  An extreme sort of ewe but would have been cool to see how she'd do.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:00:01 am by Don Drewry »
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

odays

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 03:56:09 pm »
I would like to thank Don and MIKE for trying to help me find a buck, mostly a big thank you to randy b. for checking out my picks in Sedalia and for buying and hauling home. I would like to ask your opions on him but don't want to step on the sellers toes. p.s. I think I need to find my glasses to type on this forum.
  • pat oday

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 04:28:14 pm »
Reno as big. Come on. Seen the total some where almost 1700  sold at Sedalia  1 . 8  million. Gross. Reno would likely be about 1/3. Of that at best.
  • Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 05:18:34 pm »
Bigiorn, actually read what I wrote. I did NOT say Reno was as big as Sedalia. I said "I think there as many breeders, if not as many sheep, at Reno as there were at Sedalia." And I should have clarified that I'm talking about wether sires/dams. No doubt the number of registered sheep at Reno pales in comparison at Sedalia. That segment has been dwindling each year and includes only a small handful of breeds with small representation. They had maybe 100 registered sheep (not counting registered ws/wd). You are welcome to actually count the actual number if you like, but comparing the sale order pages from the two shows, I'd estimate Sedalia only had 50% more, if that, ws/wd consignments. And my real comment was on the number of BREEDERS. That I was surprised at that there were fewer breeders represented than I expected to see.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 05:56:25 pm »
A lot of empty pens and breeders brought fewer bead. I would venture online sales and perhaps unknown with changes and Larry Mead retiring. Based on sales prices and most pleased with new format, would expect numbers to climb. West coast breeders were largely absent. Time will tell, but the format in reno will limit much growth, IMO.
  • Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 07:01:42 pm »
What format is that?
  • Crystal Emsoff

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 07:43:20 am »
I also think new sale management of the Reno sale has made it more attractive for all and I saw a lot more breeders coming from Iowa and such to attend and getting good prices. You can't beat the weather and the younger set seems to be quite enamoured of some of the late night gaming lol. Of course that may cut down on their profit margins but it can add to the fun factor!! ;)
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 02:18:03 pm »
Last time I checked , you had to be a member of the California sheep association to sell in reno. That was 50 and then buyers premium on sale.  Both money out of my pocket , that is unesseccary expense. Maybe that has changed.
  • Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 02:23:59 pm »
The still have the membership requirement but it's only $25 and you get listed in their directory that they hand out at all the sales. There is a buyers premium but it's small.

If I remember right, the sale topped a million dollars last year, first time ever, first time under Willoughby's management. I haven't heard what it grossed this year. There weren't quite as many high dollar sheep that I saw but I didn't watch the whole thing.
  • Crystal Emsoff

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »
I can't remember the numbers but I think that Dan reported that the overall numbers this year were higher than last year. I could be wrong.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 03:05:25 pm »
Okay, my numbers were off. Sale was $470,000 last year and $548,000 this year. Still not too bad. And a significant increase. I hope the sale continues to grow.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 07:49:50 pm »
I am not knocking Reno. Any way anyone can get sheep sold is a plus. The location is nice and it has history. But the coasts are just to far from each other to draw some, and the Midwest is in between. I would guess about half as many sheep were transfered to new owners, as the number sold. I hauled 2 back to my area, beside the 2  I bought. Last year hauled 17 back . that in itself, is part of why Sedalia is so big. More connections with all the other breeds.Lots of people making trips to both coasts and points in between from there.

Williams brought 2 sheep. His total sales was almost 10 percent of the Reno sale.  Wow for him.
  • Shane Kirschten

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »
Jimmy,
Go ahead and pencil me in for a 2016 Liquid Courage x No Mercy ewe lamb.
Figure I'd better get in line :)
  • Lee Meyers

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:02 pm »
Will do Lee. I'm pretty excited about using him. I thought he was really good. I also bought a new ram lamb we are going to use on a few. He is a Big Game son. We'll be posting pics on the website soon.
  • Jimmy Davis

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 06:29:40 am »
I know there's never a sure thing but Scandalous sure has worked and Liquid Courage has his strengths accompanied with a beautiful front end. I like your chances!
  • Lee Meyers