Author Topic: Lamb Training Box Pcs and Specs  (Read 42306 times)

AF32197

• View Profile
Lamb Training Box Pcs and Specs
« on: June 12, 2015, 11:22:34 am »
Pictures and specs of the lamb box we used to make. If you or any of your friends have a little carpenter skills you can build this with minimal cost. Best tool we had for those pigheaded critters! As long as you stay with the basic concept it will work.

http://s580.photobucket.com/user/af32197/media/Specs.jpg.html?sort=9&o=5

http://s580.photobucket.com/user/af32197/media/box2.jpg.html?sort=9&o=5

http://s580.photobucket.com/user/af32197/media/box3.jpg.html?sort=9&o=5

http://s580.photobucket.com/user/af32197/media/lamb%20in%20box.jpg.html?sort=9&o=4

Any questions send me a message. Hope this helps  especially people with young showneb.
  • John Wibben

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Training Box Pcs and Specs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:22:01 pm »
This new forum allows you to post the pictures directly in the forum after you upload them to photobucket. :)

• Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:14:01 am »
John - Trying to construct this box for my 8 year old son.  I emailed you with a few questions.  Do you have a spec sheet with all the dimensions?  To me it looks like I need 10 60" 2x4, 4 36" 2x4, 2 42" 2x4, 2 14" 2x4, 5 18" 2x4, 1 60" X 14" plywood sheet, 1 36" x 18" plywood sheet and 2 24" x 36" plywood sheets.  Is it 3/4" plywood?  How long do the chains need to be?  Any thing else I am missing.  Can you email me @ jasonplum@hotmail.com to let me know if I am correct or if I need to make changes.  Thanks for all your help.
  • Jason Plum

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:07:47 am »
Jason, we built a box based on John's dimensions here. The only additional dimension that I see missing is that the rise from back to front is 4 inches. Ours ended up being constructed a little differently but is essentially the same dimensions. We used 1/2 inch plywood but found that the floor wasn't strong enough, so we put 2x4's across the bottom under the plywood every 18 inches or so. If you used 3/8 inch plywood, this probably wouldn't be necessary.

For the chains, make them plenty long, because they have to be able to adjust depending on the size of the lamb. With young lambs, they'll need to go all the way down to the top of the box. For older lambs they'll be shorter.

Also, we just bought this new "walking halter" made by Weaver. Used it once and like how it works.
  • Crystal Emsoff

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:08:54 am »
The dimensions can be changed to suit your needs. We also put supports across under the floor. I think we had 6 inch rise but that too isn't too important. As long as you end up with the original concept of being able to keep pressure on the head and hold the lamb in place it twill work. I put the slope on the front to keep the lambs from trying to climb. Works a lot better than putting 2 gates in the barn and throwing a bungee cord over the rafters. LOL I think that is where the concept started. Thanks for the help answering questions Crystal. I am elated that almost 200 people have viewed this post. These are the kinds of things from our experiences that I am going to try to post on here to help with the lamb showing expeience.
  • John Wibben

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:12:30 am »
It also helps to have a double snap where you hook on to the halter. Use that to lengthen or shorten your chain.
  • John Wibben

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:32 am »
If anyone gets one built let me know what we think. I think you will like it.
  • John Wibben

Heresheep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:15:26 am »
Wondering how long most people leave lambs in the training box?  And, how long does it typically take to get the lamb "trained"?
  • Cindy Freed

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:29 am »
We did 20 minutes daily. Some lambs came around in a few days. some longer. Refresher course  weekly. Spend time handling the lambs and keep the back legs set while they are in there. Like anything it takes time and commitmnet.
  • John Wibben

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 01:11:06 pm »
That's basically what we did. 20 minutes at a time daily for a week or so. We are going to cut off about a foot of the bottom of the front panel so that we can adjust the front feet. Otherwise, you cannot reach the front feet to adjust them. The box seems to help teach the lambs to stand upright with their necks extended and to stand still. Really seems to help the younger kids in particular who aren't strong enough to handle a jumpy lamb or one that wants to pull its head down.
  • Crystal Emsoff

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »
Crystal. we thought about that but I am afraid if the lamb can see out of the front of the box they may be more inclined to think the can get out and fight it more. We never had a problem with front legs once they got used to staying in one place. 
  • John Wibben

TXsheepraiser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:13:09 am »
Thanks for sharing. This looks like a neat tool I can use in my AG program next year. Also a little neat project for this summer.
  • Tyler
Tyler Ketchum

Agricultural Education

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later." - Og Mandino

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:30:57 am »
I hope a few of you have taken the plunge and built the box. Good luck and I hope I helped a little bit.
  • John Wibben