Author Topic: Is this just asking for trouble?  (Read 13091 times)

SnarkyArkie

• View Profile
Re: Is this just asking for trouble?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 05:10:49 pm »
"If you like your ewe, you can KEEP your ewe."

And that's exactly what I'd do. We have a ewe lamb on 3 legs now in keeper pen, I almost kept a parrot mouthed ewe lamb that was bred well enough to pamper through this breeding season to see what she would have but local FFA chapter needed 2 market lambs when we only had one to offer so she moved on. I like Jimmy's idea to think of it as an experiment. If it doesn't work out, send her on. Risk/reward ratio is pretty good.

In 2012 Dustin pulled a lamb back off our trailer headed to the sale barn that was overlooked by buyers at $300 and asked if we could keep it. His experiment earned him Champion prospect on OSS, Reserve Division Champion at our state fair and a class winner at American Royal. I got a chuckle because it was around the same time that I saw on Facebook a saying "Good sheep aint cheap and cheap sheep aint good".  Scott Greiner, Josh Cody, Vance Christie and the rest of the OSS judges all found our little bargain bin keeper. Since then, Dustin has 100% control of what we keep, cull and purchase.

In 2009 we bought a ewe in Sedalia for $450(Largely in part due to nasty thunderstorm rolling through towards end of sale driving buyers to get out)  from McIlrath. She almost made the sale at our state fair. She prolapsed her uterus at lambing requiring emergency vet call at 12:00 AM. Her lamb that year made the sale at our State Fair. We have built almost half of our flock from that ewe despite people telling us we should cull her because of the uterine prolapse and none of them have had a problem. And at 6 years old, she is the oldest and fattest ewe on grass that we have today. EASY keeper.

Sometimes you just got to go with your gut. Or your 11 year olds gut. Both of my examples are fairly low dollar risks. We have taken more expensive risks that didn't work out at all but those 2 successes are why I don't rule out risks if I can afford the gamble.
  • Darren Kendrick

odays

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 07:57:34 pm »
 Bigiron Im with you on this one. Ill go step further any maternal sisters are gone and yes her mother too If she is still here. Another thing is mine go to the local sale barn NOT a bred ewe sale. Ive purchased many cull ewes from these bred ewe sales in may sold 4 ewes that I paid $6450 for them got check for $505 . Im a pretty slow learner Ill probably buy again just not from the same breeders.
  • pat oday

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
Dam is six years old and going strong. Never an issue with her. She's produced two stud rams and this is her third keeper daughter, and plus I've retained four granddaughters and a grandson. She's not going anywhere. I think I will take a chance on this girl since it sounds like a prolapse is not inevitable.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:16:50 pm by EmsoffLambs »
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 08:01:15 am »
Would be interested to see a whole picture of the lamb. Did discuss this issue with various breeders at Sedalia. My guess is that ewe is shorter bodied.   The quest for moderate ,fuzzy, round sheep has lead to many short bodied , shorter hipped, compact ,"moderate" sheep. Same amount of guts and muscle, jammed into a frame that is 2/3 rds of what it used to be.
That is what makes this fun.
I like sheep that are longer than tall. Longer bodied ,wide based ewes have more gut capacity, but also may be later maturing.  That is not currently in vogue. 
As one  breeder commented at Sedalia. "Some guys will tell you about how many dollars thier flock has generated, or how many dollars each ewe has sold lambs for. Other will tell you about the ewes and rams they have sold to other breeders that generated for those  breeders.  One type breeds sheep that breed on. One type is " making" sheep the sell for high dollars. 
You can "make" this ewe productive , or you can breed sheep that breed on.
I choose to try to breed sheep that breed on, and breeding on means culling hard for defects.
I am not sure that my values are of the type it takes to "make " sheep that sell for high dollars.
I hope that I can breed sheep that breed on and sell for repectable sums of money. And that would be any breeders goal.
 But I know that if I buy a ewe from someone that starts throwing  defects, I likely am culling and likely not going back .
She will likely be fine and generate for you.

• Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 08:41:26 am »
She's not short bodied or short hipped or too "moderate." Quite the opposite. She's easily the biggest, growthiest and probably the longest sided, longest hipped ewe lamb in the pen. She is round ribbed but has plenty of gut capacity. Plenty of length and frame to her.

• Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

ewemama

• Where quality and kids count!
    • View Profile
    • Spring Creek Ranch Club Lambs
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 10:39:39 pm »
I have a ewe that has lambed 7 years - twins every year and she has what I call a lazy rectum.  Never used iodine - never really ever changed.  I liked the ewe real well and made the decision to keep her. It was worth the gamble - she has produced well for me.  I wouldn't do anything with it unless it starts to flower more.
  • Diana Stornetta

iluvlambs2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 11:30:52 pm »
This is not as much of a reply but another question concerning rectal prolapse.  We bought a Registered Dorset Advantage that was born March 1 and already weighs 112# but she's tall, thick and growthy.  Yes admittedly she is too fat already but we haven't even started a rigorous exercise regimen yet.  We planned to show her and then keep her to breed.  When she coughs her rectum already prolapses about 2 inches but does go back in completely.  We noticed that she coughs every time after eating grain and also after eating hay as well therefore she is coughing multiple times a day.  She definitely has the flower (loose skin that looks bright pink) around the rectum.  I understand your replies about the future in breeding her but how is this obvious problem going to affect her show career? For example what if she coughs when in show ring and her prolapse is exposed to the judge.
  • Rita Murphy

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 06:38:23 am »
Fix the cough first thing. Draxxin is the best choice for that, in my opinion. After that give the iodine shots to help hold in. Use the search on "My lamb" for tons of info on the procedure or search places like Pipestone Vet.
A local vet may be an easier way to get both done at once.
  • Lee Meyers