Author Topic: Drenching before and at shows  (Read 17990 times)

Bosephus

• View Profile
Drenching before and at shows
« on: July 10, 2015, 06:53:48 pm »
Does anyone know what the popular drenches that are being used before and at shows when I ask everyone acts like its a secret I may ask at the wrong time but am curious to what they are using and if it makes that big of a difference
  • Peter Tibbits

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Drenching before and at shows
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:01:03 pm »
Traditionally the Gail Christian egg drench was used a lot.  We used it a few years and thought our lambs tops handled better. I've also used the J.B. Massey Dyne drench.  The egg drench needs to be kept cold and if you do get your lambs to eat it by wet feeding you have to make sure you clean out the feed pans well or else the eggs can make them sick.  The dyne drench is really easy to get them to eat top dressed if you are at a show where they don't let you use drench guns.  IMO, we didn't get as good of handle on the dyne drench as we did with the egg drench.  There are products sold to allow  you to mix up the egg drench and not have the keeping cold issues.  Others that have tried it will have to comment as I've not.  I like the egg drench to minimize the impact of jackpotting on a lamb. I think it helps them recover faster.  I think it does keep the top hydrated for the popular fresh  handle judges like.  We mixed some cultured butter milk in with the egg drench to provide a regular dose of probiotics.

For getting lambs to grow good, develop the best muscles I think the Honor supplements can be used to match what your specific lamb needs better than the egg drench between shows.

Crystal - I didn't look to see if you have the two recipes in the resources section.  If not it would be good to post both there.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 02:07:51 pm »
We originally started with the OG egg drench. We switched from that to the Final Secret drench, which is now the egg drench powder sold by the Fitteroutpost in Tx. If you don't mind dragging a big cooler the original egg drench works great/ The others are a little easier to travel with. We used them with the wet feeding and found it really helped to keep the lambs on feed  at the shows and worked best for us because we weren't allowed to drench. Once the lambs get used to any of these products it is almost like they addicted. Really helped to keep the lambs fresh and looking their best without washing out the top under stress and heat. This along with a good electrolyte is the main things you should not be without in my opinion.
  • John Wibben

AF32197

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 02:09:29 pm »
We would start 7-10 days before the showing.
  • John Wibben

Wisconsinsheep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:39:58 am »
I hate that secretism that plagues the show world... But I really like the OG drench. Give it a try.
  • Rick Klas

Bosephus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:17 am »
Thanks for all of your input I appreciate your knowledge
  • Peter Tibbits

coondawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:38:07 am »
Egg Drench, Lamb Drench, Gold dust i believe these pretty much the same thing with the same out come.  Not 100 percent sure but looks the same, smells same and taste same and pretty much had came out in the same package just different labels
  • Beau Lewis

shadowran

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 07:46:05 pm »
make sure you can drench at shows some places you cant
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects