Author Topic: bonnet or no bonnet  (Read 4118 times)

ca4hmom

• View Profile
bonnet or no bonnet
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:14 am »
Would you do a bonnet on a shrop ewe for county fair market lamb or shear the head. She Will be in the AOB class. I think the bonnet is cute but don't know for market if it would be appropriate?
  • Kelly Goodman

poke1324

• View Profile
Re: bonnet or no bonnet
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:06:44 am »
Shear it. It looks like you are trying too hard to look "shroppy" by leaving it IMHO.  Also, in most market shows the rules are slick sheared above the knees.
  • Jeremy Eaton

Califmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:22:53 am »
I agree. I think it detracts somewhat from the lamb too. They look better slick sheared.
  • KAREN JOST
I enjoy raising my Southdowns and just added a new Willwerth x Forsee ram I call Justin.

ca4hmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:25:40 pm »
I totally see your points. No bonnet for us, I just think they are so cute and wanted one LOL. Our fair has a no protests rule this year and NO parents at weigh in. So I was thinking with a cute bonnet they would have to call a shrop not cross but your so right, it's trying to hard And I can't imagine them calling her a cross not AOB but crazy things happen at mid state!
One other question.... at jackpots you can know who your judge is before hand. I've never been able to get inside scoop on county fairs judges. Anyone hear any rumors about who will judge CA mid state fair next week? 7/28/25
  • Kelly Goodman

slomom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:07:56 pm »
Protests are allowed at Mid State Fair, or any fair in California, if you feel there is a violation of a local or state rule.  The guidelines are in the fair handbook.  There may not be "protests" allowed on how their official designates breeds at the scale.  As far as the judge, that is public information and can be found on their website.  Has been posted since the beginning of July.
  • Tommie Lehar

shadowran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:52:38 pm »
I'm a little different than the others I suggest when showing a fair that has a breed classification leave the wool cap on and leg wool and let the breed speak for itself, after classification than shear it off if you want to, Now I would never be a part of try to change the look of a lamb to get into another class: like painting the legs and head to get a cross into a Suffolk class. JMO
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

cwining1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:32:52 pm »
I am also of the mindset to leave the wool cap and then shear it off after she is classified if you want. If you are planning on showing her at other shows in the aob/shrop class; I'm not sure that I wouldn't just leave the wool cap to be honest jmo.

ca4hmom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 12:33:39 am »
Sheared, no bonnet and she was called Shropshire no problems. I just like the look of the bonnet. But your all right, let the breed dish fit it's self.
  • Kelly Goodman

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:06:18 am »
Glad it worked out! Good luck at your show! 8)
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California