Author Topic: Barn Ideas  (Read 3889 times)

Polymom

• View Profile
Barn Ideas
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:26:13 pm »
We lost our dairy barn in a fire a few weeks ago.  We sold the cows and are implementing our long term plans of going into a cow/calf beef operation and increasing our sheep flock from 20 to 50 ewes.  We are working with UW-Extension and UW Madison on site planning and building design.  The Ag Engineer we are working with wants us to come up with a dream list of what we want our new facilities to contain.  So sheep breeders, what do you have in your sheep barn that you couldn't do without or what don't you have that you really wish you did?
  • Julie Terpstra

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Barn Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:47 pm »
A heated lambing area with barn cameras. We've got the cameras already and they were literally one of the best investments we've ever made.  We'll be walling in a small section that we can heat this winter for lambing. I think that will make life a lot easier.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:12:07 pm »
Dirt floor
Dutch doors on two slides and sliding doors on the other sides - let sheep and air in and out
Electricity and water in the barn
Feed storage in or near barn
Water drainage away from the barn, (sounds simple but the farm I grew up on didn't have that)
Space for storing supplies
Walk through gates
High ceiling
Insulated roof
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:32:16 pm »
We recently finished a pole barn that is 60 X 72.  It has doors and walls north and south but is open east and west for maximum ventilation.  The north or front I have two cement areas one for washing and shearing.  One for medicine and equipment storage.  The rest is dirt.  The middle is for hay storage the sides are for lambing and pens.  One of the best features is that I have the ability to bring the ewes in from a field on the east side of the barn and move them around the south or back side into a run that is five feet wide.  Moving them a long the back, I can then bring them into a working system made by Shauls livestock equipment that is on the west side and because of the hay stacked in the middle of the barn they cannot see what I am doing.  They remain calm and without stress in holding pens munching on hay on water as I leisurely worm, vaccinate, CIDR, preg test, or whatever.  My vet was very impressed.  Now I would tell you that this was all a plan but it was not.  It just worked out this way.  I also never force them into the working alley, I just tempt them with food.  At this point, I have needed to make sure all the gates are five feed so they don't injure themselves fighting to be first! It also means I can work them without assistance.  Quite nice. 
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Polymom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:12:24 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Anyone else have anything to add?
  • Julie Terpstra

Picket Fence

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:07 pm »
I built our current lambing barn from scratch. It's 2 open front sheds, facing each other, 30x30 total, with a 10x15 creep pen on one end. I designed and built our jug pens to be back to back with a water trough running between the rows, and 4 pens drinking from one location. I also designed and built a hay/grain feeder that serves as a pen divider. All the panels for the pens are pinned together, and we take them apart and rearrange the panels to divide the barn for the show lambs. We have 4 wireless cameras that are on 24/7 from Jan-Apr to watch for lambing issues. My next addition will be 15' between the two halves, and taller, to store hay above the pens.
  • Todd Fangmeier

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »
I worked at a sheep dairy and they have two fabric barns.  Both have pony walls.  One is wood on the lower side and the other is cinderblock construction. 

Farmtek sells them and there many be other companies that do as well.  http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft_fabric_buildings;ft_livestock_housing.html

I love that the buildings are not dark inside.  My understanding is that the fabric lasts around 15 years.  Don't know the replacement cost on the fabric or what it would cost for labor to replace it. 

If you have high property taxes, many counties don't assess property taxes on these because they view these structures as non-permanent.  The photos don't do them justice.  If you can find someone in your area that has one, you should visit. 
  • Laura Overton

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:47 am »
Open format, no inside poles or permanent pens. All stuff can be pulled up to clean with skid loader.  The building can then be used off season for other things or if plans change. Large doors on all side to open for cleaning or ventilation. Outside lots should be hard surfaces.  Insulated room inside with hot water heater and washer,dryer and refrigerator.  If you are the nurturing type, water pipes  are nice  I jug I Iess than 24 hrs if at all. Sheep can walk to feed and water, but if I jug pails and slice of hay. I am a nature type, so "momma" better work hard or she is sausage. 3rd year on not jugging over half of my ewes. Only 2 ewe lambs have been jugged in last 3 years. You make good mommas work, and you won't have to as hard.
  • Shane Kirschten