Poll

What do you look at/read on breeder websites?

Just the pictures
0 (0%)
Pictures and captions
3 (25%)
Pictures, captions and short writeups
6 (50%)
All of it, even writeups that are several paragraphs long
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Breeder website poll  (Read 2712 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Breeder website poll
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:56:49 am »
As a web designer, my customers sometimes ask me how much "verbiage" they should put on their websites. I know that I personally usually skip over any lengthy verbiage and just look at the pictures and maybe read the captions of the ones I'm interested in. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. But I don't want to assume that everyone is just like me!

But what about you? Do you ever read the farm histories or philosophies? How about more lengthy (a full paragraph or more) writeup about the rams or sale animals? If you don't read the verbiage, do you find it distracting?
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

MizLiz

• View Profile
    • Bohan Montadales & Club Lambs
Re: Breeder website poll
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:37:30 am »
I personally don't read all the extras, just sires, lambs, and winners. I do wish more people would put the sires of their winners underneath them. Free advertising when I look to buy a lamb and see all his winners.
  • Liz Bohan
Breeder of Montadales and Club Lambs

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:16:59 pm »
First look at a site, I want pedigree of the winners and their rams.  Champion at show xyx, Hotstuff Ram x Yesterday's news is enough pedigree info.

If I'm interested in buying something, so "phase 2", then I kind of like the history and other text.  But, it doesn't make much of an impact on whether I buy or not.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:16:01 pm »
I agree with the posts above.  Wins, sires and pedigrees.  Less words is better.  Some initial history on the first page is ok as long as it is a very short paragraph. 
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

woolpuller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:43:15 am »
I am in a completely different category.
I sell breeding stock to some purebred people but mainly to flocks of 450- 2000 ewes. They want data such as epd's or ebv's along with high health and my flock doesn't go to any fairs. Some of these people have got out of dairy cattle and are familiar with performance data.
  • Bill Duffield

Califmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:20:36 am »
I like knowing who sired the winners too. I admit to being a pedigree nut. I like clickable links to pedigrees like I have seen on Forsee Southdowns sires page.
  • KAREN JOST
I enjoy raising my Southdowns and just added a new Willwerth x Forsee ram I call Justin.