Author Topic: Lamb pulling bad  (Read 2242 times)

Lambcrazy12270

• View Profile
Lamb pulling bad
« on: July 31, 2015, 04:19:48 am »
My daughter had her lamb leading very well for awhile, but then she went on vacation for three weeks.  When she returned, she started working with him again, but now he wants nothing to do with it.  He continues to pull her around no matter where she takes him.  I worked with him last time, in hopes he needs to realize that he has to stop.  He is 4 months old.  Is there a problem, anything special I need to do, or just continue to walk him until he gets back into it?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • Guenavere mccormick

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
Re: Lamb pulling bad
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:07:29 am »
We tell our boys it is all about repetition. Yes, they tend to "forget" if they are not worked with daily.  Lambs can be stubborn, so it should be fine with some more time spent working with it.   We have learned just 15 minutes a day per lamb really makes a difference.
  • Daylene Knight

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:18:41 am »
Two things that I've found to help the younger kids when a lamb is dragging them around. First, teach them the "emergency break." Most kids will tend to wrap their arms about the throat of the lamb and what happens then is that the lamb will lower its head and run away with the kid. Instead, have the child hold the lamb under the jaw with the left hand, closer to the lamb's chin. When the lamb starts going to fast, they can crank the lamb's head up and back, (emergency break), taking the leverage and power away from the lamb. Even a small child can control a fairly large lamb using this method.

The second thing we do is keep a halter and the lamb and have an adult hold the end of the halter lead. If the lamb gets to overpowering the kid, the adult and pull back on the rope. Obviously this won't work in the show ring, but it can help to break a bad habit and trick the lamb into thinking that it cannot overpower a smaller kid. It also helps to control the lamb until the kid can gain some more confidence to control the lamb himself. After all, that's really what it all is. If a kid believe he can control a lamb, he can. If he believes he cannot, the lamb will drag him all over the place.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:20:14 am »
And here's one more help on hand position for leading. If the kid keeps that lamb's head up, he will have a lot more control of the lamb.

• Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California