Author Topic: Bedding  (Read 3290 times)

Symonomonymonom

• View Profile
Bedding
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:58:38 am »
I was just curious to see what others use/recommend for bedding. I've seen a pretty big variety of different beddings used, such as sand or mulch or straw, but the one I currently use is just plain shavings. However, it gets stuck in wool and it seems to me like it gets tangled in the wool and then causes the wool to eventually come off. Straw doesn't seem to be absorbent enough. What has worked well for you guys or what do you recommend?
  • Rachel

ksjoat

• View Profile
Re: Bedding
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:51:04 am »
We use the wood pellets.  They are pretty absorbent and don't cause trouble in the leg wool.  Straw is probably the best for the leg wool but it is hard to find anymore around here and it is kind of a pain in the butt in my opinion. 
  • Kim Squires

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:09:02 pm »
We use wood pellets for our kitty litter.  It almost eliminates order and the pesky flies don't seem to circle the box.  They should work great for sheep too.  We buy wood stove pellets since they are cheaper than the pellets marketed for horses. 

For those living in the Land of Almonds, aka California, almond shells work really well for bedding.  I was reading that when used on dairies, mastitis is greatly reduced since bacteria doesn't grow in it like other types of bedding.  The sheep dairy that I was working at used them in the barns.  Occasionally a shell would get caught between the toes and need to be pulled out, but it didn't happen often.  The only thing with shells is that you can't sneak up on your sheep.  They make a lot of crunching noise!

If you have any hullers near you, you can check for prices.  Many will let you buy pickup and trailer loads.  For an idea of how much prices run I've attached a link.  I haven't purchased from this company since I have three hullers within 1 1/2 miles of my house but the price on almond hulls, which I buy, is the same.  http://feedservices.com/f01plist.htm
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:52:58 pm »
We're lucky. Our fairground are right across the street from a large lumber mill that donates all the shavings for the entire fair. It's not the most uniform, with some larger chunks mixed it, but it serves the purpose.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California