Author Topic: Would you use PG600 this time of year?  (Read 8589 times)

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
Re: Would you use PG600 this time of year?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 05:27:13 pm »
BigIron you said feed once a day at 4 pm during lambing.  Do you feed differently during other times of the year?  This time of year we feed at dawn when it is cool and then about 7 pm once again when it is cool.  Where we live it will get to be 90 to 100 during the hottest part of the day but it will cool off to the low 60's so we try to feed when it is cool and then they shade up and relax when it is hot.  However towards the end October when we begin lambing (hopefully) it will be cooler and a 4 pm feeding could be a possibility.  As a poll who feeds once per day and who feeds twice.  What are the pros and cons? 
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 05:43:07 pm »
When we had show lambs 2 or 3 times a day.  Rest of sheep 1 a day year round  if feeding. It gets hot here to  and humidty.  Mostly 5 in summer , but might cheat when visiting my kids and grandkids. Feed late morning leave ,spend night be back late pm( today)/spent night with sons family, watched oldest gd play ,win 2 softball games and home. Any more than. That, will have chore boy do it. Will be traveling to Montana over labor day. Chore boy comes once a day, his schedule.
I don't travel during lambing. Always here by 4 pm.
  • Shane Kirschten

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »
We feed all sheep once a day in the morning around 6:30 AM.  (When the kids were showing the show lambs were fed more often as BI notes.).  However, we also have free choice hay available except midnight to 6:30 AM.  90% of our lambs are born outside the window of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  Seems to me when I compare others, they don't have the access to the hay as much of the time and they would get a different lambing time in response to the feeding time.  Most of my ewes probably lamb in the window 10:30 PM to 7:00 AM.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Chuckles450

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 10:19:10 pm »
That's pretty fascinating Shane. We'll be trying the 4oclock feeding method I think!

Show lambs here get fed twice a day. Everything else eats in the evening when ever everyone gets home.
  • Charley Austin