Author Topic: Bad day  (Read 3257 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Bad day
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
Ugh, I hope the second half of my day goes better than the first.  Found a ewe aborting her lambs three weeks early when I went out to feed this morning. They were dead for a while and starting to decompose. I got the first one out after pulling off a leg, went back in to check for a second and sure enough, there was one. After a lot of work, I got that one out too. Figured after all that, I'd better check and make sure there were no more. Go figure:  triplets! She was so dry inside with no amniotic fluid, and the lamb was just falling apart wherever I could get a hold of it.  I just couldn't get out. So off to the vet we go. After a good hour of manipulating and pulling and trying to keep it in one piece, plus an entire gallon of lube, the vet finally got the third lamb out. As she went back in to flush the poor ewe's uterus, what does she find? A FOURTH lamb! I've had three sets of quads ever, and wouldn't you know it, this poor girl would be my fourth set. Luckily the last one was smaller than the others and came out more easily. After such a long, traumatic delivery, the ewe amazingly seems to be doing okay so far, so long as she doesn't get an infection. Pulling lambs is never fun. Pulling dead lambs really sucks. Pulling FOUR dead lambs is something I hope to never have to deal with again. Now off to the lab with the fetuses to try to determine what caused the abortion and hopefully prevent anymore. Then to get home and treat all 45 ewes with preventative antibiotics and revaccinate them all. All part of life on the farm. Admittedly, not the fun part though. :-\
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Re: Bad day
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:35:28 pm »
I give you credit for being able to pull one that is coming apart.  I'd have to find a vet because the gross out factor is just too much for me.  It will be interesting to know what caused the abortion.  Hopefully it's isolated and you won't have any further problems.

What vaccine do you plan to use?  If it's the Campylobacter Fetus Jejuni vaccine, can you give it to a pregnant ewe without compromising the pregnancy?
  • Laura Overton

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:44:05 pm »
I know your pain and worry. I'm sure you'll do the best you can for them.  No more you can do than that. Prayers sent for you and your flock 🙏
  • Lee Meyers

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:29:06 pm »
Thanks guys. Especially for the prayers. That's probably the most effective thing of all. :) I talked a bit with Larry Carter and he guessed that it's not something infectious, but rather "fetal death syndrome." He said that when there are high multiples, it's pretty easy for a an umbilical cord to get pinched or wrapped around a lamb, killing it, which in turn creates a toxic environment that kills the rest. Hopefully the lab results come back clean and that's the cause. In the meantime I will be walking on eggshells hoping no others abort.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:12 pm »
I am of the opinion  that most abortions are infectious. Cattle and horses very rarely and I mean ve ry,very rarely have non infectious abortions. I am not why most think abortions are "normal" in Sheep.  Good luck . Hope lab finds something, but again usually not for me.
Are these ewes that were cidred and pg600 for fall lambs?
Might rethink that pg600 dosage.
Good luck with rest of this gruop.
  • Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:12 pm »
Yes, ewes were CIDRed and given the recommended 5 cc PG600. I am considering the dosage, but will see what the rest of the crop brings before I make any calls on that.

In the past the lab has always been able to determine the infectious agent for me, though I hear that's not necessarily the norm. I wasn't able to submit the placenta this time as the ewe still hasn't shed it yet, though there was a small section with three or four cotyledons on one of the fetuses. I am hoping that doesn't hinder things too much.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:13:11 pm by EmsoffLambs »
  • Crystal Emsoff

MizLiz

• View Profile
    • Bohan Montadales & Club Lambs
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:04:06 pm »
That sounds aweful. Nothing so far has had a gross factor at work like the stuff I deal with on the farm. Last year we had a lamb that was born with its intestines coming out its anus. About 8 inches of them. Hopefully no repeats... I hope the rest of lambing goes smoother for you.
  • Liz Bohan
Breeder of Montadales and Club Lambs

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:23:00 am »
Lab results came back clean for campylobacter. The doctor said the tissues are probably too decomposed to find anything else useful, so didn't really think it would be worth doing any further checking. Now it's just wait and hope for the best. So far there have been no other issues. I did revaccinate everyone and gave Nuflor to the ewes that are due soon.
  • Crystal Emsoff