Author Topic: Bloat  (Read 2204 times)

Lambcrazy12270

• View Profile
Bloat
« on: October 21, 2015, 06:44:27 am »
I am not sure if I should be concerned or not.  My ewes are in a small pasture area that produces a good amount of grass, but nothing special and not too green.  We use to let them out in the evenings for about an hour or two where the grass is real green, but one day we let them out for several hours because we were home and I didnt think it would be a problem.  Well, that evening one of them bloated so bad she looked pregnant.  Her ears were down, she wouldnt eat, and would continuously burp and throw up.  By the next morning she was completely fine.  I figured the grass was just too green, so we just made sure they were let out for only their hour or two. 

Now with fall and winter approaching, the grass is not growing so well, we put a round bail out for them.  Very nice hay with no weeds, I was impressed as I have never seen a round bail look so good for the area we live in.  The round bail has a cattle panel wrapped around it to prevent it from spreading.  We just put it out Sunday, and by Tuesday evening she was bloated again and acting the same as a few months ago, just not as bad.  By Wednesday morning she was acting just fine and not bloated anymore.

They are all updated on wormer and CD&T.  I worm about every 30 days during the summer and give them a shot about every 60 days.
Any ideas?
Thanks
  • Guenavere mccormick

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Bloat
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:23:06 am »
Some sheep just seem more prone to bloating than others. Some eat too fast and choke, some I suspect have an injury or defect that interferes with burping. Green grass or grass hay should not typically be a problem. It's legumes (clover or alfalfa) that are the big concerns. You can keep out baking soda for the sheep if you are concerned.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California