Author Topic: What type or brand of ear tags to you prefer?  (Read 4866 times)

shadowran

• View Profile
What type or brand of ear tags to you prefer?
« on: December 07, 2015, 12:15:23 pm »
since they are longer making the tags I used, I got some lamb tags from all flex and lost 4 tags before the lambs are weaned out of 10 I have tried the little metal tags didn't work cause they are to tiny I put scrapie tags in when they leave the place, I like the small tags batter
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
Re: What type or brand of ear tags to you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 12:39:07 pm »
I use Premier. Mine are scrapie tag and flock tag in one.
  • Jimmy Davis

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:54:19 pm »
Same as Jimmy.  They work real well EXCEPT when I put the ewes on the Premier round bale hay feeders.  Then they tend to lose some tags.  A few years ago they had a design that was awful and we lost a huge number of tags. They seemed to have fixed that problem.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:48:46 pm »
Same as Jimmy here too. I use the Premier Q-Flex 5 tags. Their scrapie number is their flock number. That way I only have to keep track of one number. I put them in the newborn lambs with no problems and they are big enough to read from a distance. Plus free printing with our farm name, even on the scrapie tags.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/c/ear_tags_and_tattoo_supplies/ear_tags/
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

tsylvester

• View Profile
    • Sylvester Livestock
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:11:19 am »
Agreed. we use Q-Flex 3.  You can't beat premier for pricing and speed
  • TJ Sylvester
Breeder of Southdowns & Hampshires

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 03:48:22 pm »
Not happy with premier and are going back to Temple tags this year.  Customer service with Premier was great but with net wire and round bale feeders lined with cattle panels loss has been at an unacceptable level and looking for different ideas.  Also got caught in the bad tag design and was told reason tags were designed to pull apart is to keep ear from being ripped when got caught.  Premier did replace tags at no cost, so a big plus for them.  Very Reasonable but not acceptable.  Do not like having to catch sheep to read tag with Temple tags but am almost faced with tattoo if cannot keep retention up.  Still looking for an answer to this one.
  • Rex Cole

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 07:03:07 pm »
I've used Allflex tags, medium size, for years and have had about 4 lost.  One was lost when the pony bit off the lower half of the ear, tag and all.  I place mine just below the center of the ear, above the vein, and closer to the skull than the tip of the ear.  I haven't had any tags were the front and back separate, though I have had a few sheep that I purchased that had the tags come apart.  I make sure to clamp the tagging pliers firmly.  When I've had doubts, I put the pliers back onto the tag and crimp it again.  I don't think you can squeeze the pliers too tightly.  It doesn't make the lamb happy but it gives me a measure of comfort that the tag is secure.
  • Laura Overton

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 03:52:47 am »
I use the Q flex 5 and have really loved their ease of application. Overall I think they might just be the best tag I've used but I have lost a few due to the cattle panel around round bales, like Rex. Not sure that there is a tag that could stand up to that kind of daily pull though. Thought about putting the Q Flex 1.2 in the ewes also in case the bigger tag gets ripped out. At least she'd still have something until I got around to retagging
  • Lee Meyers

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 05:00:26 am »
Seriously considering the hasco type metal tags again. Best retention on any.  Cheap effective ,last forever.   Pain to read, but might all get one at birth and then just use scrapie.
Alternatively , might order my usual personal tags and use my male with scrapie female. In one ear. Save the other for a back up or simply tag in each ear with . might do this for retained sheep.
  • Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 07:16:50 am »
Honestly, I wish Premier would go back to their old X tags. Those NEVER came out. I've got six year old ewes with their original X tags.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California