Author Topic: Antibiotics in 2016  (Read 2384 times)

ARLambs

• View Profile
Antibiotics in 2016
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:05:33 pm »
I have attempted to have an open conversation with our vet regarding legal changes in antibiotic use as of Dec 2016.  He apparently found the conversation insulting and accusatory, so needless to say, I was unable to garner any real information.  Specifically how will it change my use of Auromycin use in our feed from Dec - March annually.  Will it change my ability to use drinking water base sulfa drugs to treat coccidiosis in groups of lambs.  Will each use of an antibiotic require a physical exam of the animal or will I still be able to keep antibiotics on hand.  Just wondering if anyone has been able to get concrete answers to these questions from your vets.
  • Cindy Kendrick

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Antibiotics in 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:15:56 am »
I have not really been following the federal charges because CA is taking it a step further. ALL antibiotics will require a vet's prescription. No feeding for growth promotion (which I don't do anyway). My understanding is that things will work basically like it does now for Nuflor and such. You'll still be able to get it if you have a decent bet that will work with you. A few years ago this would have been a pretty major problem for me personally. Thankfully over the past three or four years, we got a couple new vets that are more cooperative.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:14:30 am »
We have to take each animal in individually for everything...had some goats with coccidiosis when they were little. Had to take each goat in, do fecals and get each a bottle of Albon.  Had 22 little ones that year, luckily not all got sick.  I miss the day of calling and getting to talk to vet about issues before having to load them up and take them in.  We can not even get thiamine to keep on hand as they don't want to "treat the whole herd".  We used to keep thiamine in case of polio...had a few get crazy on us and it was nice to have the medicine handy.  Now, we see them acting crazy, catch them, load them up, drive 45 minutes...vet looks at goat...yep...needs thiamine.  It's been an endless battle here but I see the need to avoid problems too.  Not everyone is honest and it's their license on the line.  I can get 3 doses of Nuflor if needed for respiratory problems, but it's the exact amount for one animal, 2 treatments and a spare if it gets dropped or messed up.  I do appreciate that  but it's getting harder to get antibiotics for lambs and goats.
  • Daylene Knight

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:53:07 pm »
Ugh, that would be horrible. FYI, you can buy B complex over the counter (and it won't be affected by new rules as far as I know). It contains thiamine and can be used at higher doses to treat thiamine deficiency. That at least will save you some trouble.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:51:32 pm »
Yes, I keep at least 2 bottles b- complex on hand for emergencies.  We have lambs and goats and a well water source very high in sulpher.  We had our old vet who retired tell us that the sulpher caused a lot of problems in cattle, sheep and goat with the polio....made sense and we always kept a bottle of thiamine on hand. Anytime we had a star gazer we gave thiamine.  Always pulled them back and they recovered except one bull calf who stayed blind. For 15 years we had it figured out, then.....  He retired and the new vet said he had never heard that sulpher In water caused any problems.  Go figure!!
  • Daylene Knight

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 02:12:23 pm »
The proposed ban ,is only on feed grade antibiotics.
Again, politically charged. No one "feeds" antibiotics for improved rate of gain. Ionophors are not antibiotics, and do not fall under the proposed ban. All injectables , are likely supposed to be RX already. And any " extra label" use should and has been under client patient relationship for years.
So technically, the only thing changing , will be you won't be able to buy ctc  crumbs over the counter.
All of the other things ,have always and will continue to be "illegal".
How your vet and feed guy handles it, will remain to be seen.y vet does an annul inspection of my flock and premise, and duly noted and charged in my records in his office. That establishes and vet/client relationship. Virtually all of my vet needs are ordered and purchased through his office. Again, solidifying that vet/client relationship.
Will the proposed ban ,hinder MY ablity? Ever so slightly.
Will it hinder some of my friends,who buy all stuff online, and do not have a " consulting" vet?
I would imagine, they will be hard pressed to get  much of anything.

I believe that may be part of the " premise" behind PIPEVETS new  online for pay " premium" deal. You pay so much a year to belong, getting access to webinars on care, animal husbandry ,advice ect. You uses to be able to call and get info for free. Still may to some extent. But bet the advice and getting a script from them, will be completely different than in past. The people that are "paying" for that service,may indeed get more of those things. They have a client  relationship.
Just some ideas ,from a former licensed veterinary technician.
I get frustrated with my vet from time to time
Recent staff changes ,may make that easier. And I have other vets in my network ,so will have that leval of care needed to comply.
Will Freddy 4 -H have free rein to get any thing and use anything to care for his project , as has been done up till now?
Doubtful.
Unless he continues to access " black market" .
And I don't see that drug trade changing anytime soon. Unless  major shows ,crack down and FDA pursues abusers as they did in past with Clenbuterol.

• Shane Kirschten