Author Topic: Almond Mulch for Pens?  (Read 9058 times)

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Re: Almond Mulch for Pens?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 11:35:16 am »
Did they use almond hulls or almond shells?  I was planning on calling tomorrow to see what shells cost.  The mulch is working great but it would be easier and faster for me to handle shells with a scoop shovel and a cart than the mulch and a pitch for would be.  I don't have a tractor and I've considered hiring someone with a loader to put down mulch but I try to do as much myself as I can.  I'd rather put money into more important things rather then into labor costs that I could take care of.
  • Laura Overton

shadowran

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 03:57:40 pm »
where did you get the walnut shell?
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »
Shadowran, I'm not sure if you are asking me or another poster.  I used walnut mulch because I found it cheaper than the almond mulch.  The trees are ground up in the orchards where they are pulled out.  Most of the mulch goes to cogeneration plants to produce electricity.  Almonds orchard are rapidly replacing pastureland.  Deep water wells are drilled to supply all of the orchards and many, including me, are worried that our domestic wells will go dry as a result.  Our water table has dropped significantly so this rainy season is a huge blessing.  The mud, not so much.

Most almond hullers have almond hulls and shells available for sale.  Some have contracts with other businesses that purchase all of the hulls or shells but many of the hullers will still sell to someone who only needs smaller quantities.  I have at least 5 hullers within 2 miles of my house. 

I'm sure that walnut shells are available but I don't know of any walnut hullers near me.  I think that almond shells might be a bit better for the sheep than walnut because walnut shells are a lot harder and might be more likely to inflict cuts between their toes.
  • Laura Overton

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 04:12:44 pm »
Almonds hulls also make a good feed as long as you are careful to feed them with hay over the top so the don't eat them to fast and choke on them. We have been mixing them with baby Lima beans and have been able to cut our hay consumption by a third and they are frolicking in the pastures like young girls.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs