Author Topic: ? On buck lamb  (Read 2486 times)

Topdawg88

• View Profile
? On buck lamb
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »
We will have 8 - 10 ewes to breed this July- August we will be looking for another ram ,over half of our ewes are aged ewes and the rest ewe lambs what would everyone's advise be look for a Fall 2015 or a Spring 2016 buck to use on our small flock of hamp/Suffolk ewes
  • Randy Barker

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: ? On buck lamb
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:52:33 pm »
The vast majority of ram lambs are willing and able by 8 months. Many are ready by 7.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:13:46 pm »
I've got 5 January lambs sired by a March 1st ram lamb.  He was under 6 months when we used him.  He settled a few less than the older rams did.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:38 pm »
I have 10  or 15 January dorsets out of an April born. He was settling ewes by the 15 of August. That being said, breed has something to do with it. Expecting a young ram to be fertile in July is asking a lot. Many mature rams are not fertile in July. If I was determined to get them bred in July,I would be using and proven or at least  more mature ram.  Any ram lamb,needs to be well fed,not excessively fat, and taken care of. Mine are pulled daily to feed by them selves.  He bred ewes for Jan,Feb,March and April.  I have April born hamp ram lambs, twins out of a 12 month old first timer. They both were good to go in late August .1 was used on 2 matures in early  September. The other was not used until late October and November. Again well fed, kept in shade during day, fans on 24 hrs a day from weaning until turned out, and then had fans on them as well.
Size has something to do with it as well. Some of the " trendy" rams lambs,simply are not physically big enough to mount large  mature ewes.
  • Shane Kirschten