Author Topic: Cutaneous Horn/ Papillomas  (Read 2227 times)

Hansen

• View Profile
Cutaneous Horn/ Papillomas
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:01:12 pm »
Noticed a ewe this evening that had pulled one of her flock ear tags and made a pretty nasty wound.  Upon further inspection it appeared that the new tissue was similar to a horn or Keratin.  After a bit of research I came upon Cutanous Horns and Papillomas. 

Weird thing is, a few years ago I bought a ewe lamb from up north and she had this weird growth like "horn" on her tail head that would continue to grow. We cut it off a few times as close to the skin as possible but finally had to cut off "good" tissue for it to heal.  I am wondering if somehow that bacteria could be the cause of this growth on the damaged part of the ear?

It is a weird multi-layered growth of hard keratin.  Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? What'd you do to treat? I can get a picture for those that haven't seen anything like it. 

Thanks.
  • Josh Hansen

Jimmy Davis

• View Profile
Re: Cutaneous Horn/ Papillomas
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:10:56 am »
We've had that happen before, Josh. I remove with pig tooth nippers and treat with wound spray. Haven't had any problems.
  • Jimmy Davis

Hansen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:43:27 am »
Awesome! Thanks Jimmy! I will try to get as much off of the ear as I can and coat with spray. 
  • Josh Hansen

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 07:04:45 am »
I actually have a ewe with a growth/horn looking thing right now. It's black, semi hard, 1/4 to 1/2 diameter, about an inch tall and curls over on top.
I have only had one other with something similar and it just happens to be one of her lambs 2 years ago. That was a show wether and it's growth was very similar but looked a little more like a giant black seed wart. I had to clip it off on 2 different occasions. I put nu-skin (liquid bandage) on it. It didn't affect anything. I haven't messed with what's on the ewe now. Both had the "horn" around the base of the ear.
  • Lee Meyers