Author Topic: When to breed  (Read 3562 times)

twinlamb

• View Profile
When to breed
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »
Ok, so it is too late this year, but if your fair is late August, when would you put your ram out with your ewes and when is the ideal lambing time.  There was a calendar on the old site, but it is no longer available.  So, what are your opinions?

Our ewes look close (supposed to be in the next week), but I am nervous that the timing isn't right for our late August fair

Thoughts?
  • Kristy

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: When to breed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:15:09 pm »
We have used lambs born as late as early March for an August fair, though that is really pushing it. We typically use January/February lambs. Typically a little more mature lamb will do better IF the feeder knows how to keep the lamb from getting too fat. Lambs born within the next few weeks should be fine for a late August show.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

mike reynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:38:59 am »
 the american sheep industry ap has a good  breeding calculator on it.
  • mike reynolds

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:59:48 pm »
An easy rule of thumb to follow is to breed the same month of your fair. So if your fair is in August then breed in August. Remember the best six month old lamb is seven months old  ;)
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »
That may work for some. I don't think to many have good luck breeding in July. And then some County fairs here have some crazy rules. Like born in year of show, purples must gain  7 tenths of pound a day. Ect. I wish it were as easy as you have.
I know lots of fall lambs get shown here . more and more have done away with a bunch of the old school rules. But still at the end of the day, you gotta be a feeder and get the lamb shown. At least here. No drench, no muzzles.  It's a fun game,for sure.
  • Shane Kirschten

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:28:28 pm »
Pretty much the same here at our county fairs.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

twinlamb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 05:08:12 pm »
We finally started this morning.  Had a set of twins - a ram and a ewe.  Look good so far. 
  • Kristy