Author Topic: Clipping with surgical blades  (Read 4213 times)

Barton

• View Profile
Clipping with surgical blades
« on: March 04, 2016, 10:57:15 am »
Is there a secret to clipping with surgical blades?  We have always used fine blades.  This time I decided to use Lister surgical blades on a lamb that was clipped about a month ago with fines.  The lamb was washed and blow dryed.  The blades cut alot slower than the fines and I had to reclip the lamb several times and it still looks bad.  Was I supposed to use fines first and then touch up with surgicals? Should the blades have cut just as fast as fines and I just bought a bad set?  They were brand new.
  • Emily Barton

Heresheep

• View Profile
Re: Clipping with surgical blades
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:31:23 am »
I've purchased new blades that were so dull they needed sharpening.  I would assume that's the problem with yours. 
  • Cindy Freed

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:24:35 pm »
I have never noticed that the surgicals cut slower than fines. They should cut smoothly too. Check to make sure they are tensioned correctly. Or maybe bad blades? What brand are they? I have always used the Premiers and never had any problems.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Barton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 05:43:30 pm »
They are lister blades used on lister stablemates.  Must just be a bad set of blades.  I never have bought a new set that needed sharpening.  Maybe that is all it is.  Thank you for the replies.
  • Emily Barton

shadowran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 09:42:41 am »
Just a note when using surgical blades to shear they will burn the skin so keep the lamb damp we keep a spray bottle close and oil the blades every few minutes oil mare than you think also never use a cool blade spray this is from the experts and years of shearing lambs. And by no means am I a expert but things I have learned over the years I use surgical's   just about every year on just about every lamb, now sometimes we will use them a few days ahead of show to save time because the kids is showing other animals the same day,
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:39:53 am »
Since my own kids are done showing, I'm not spending as much time watching details.  But couple points, unless it just changed the trend to me was to not use surgical blades on show day and clip with fines.  If using surgical's then clip a few days before.  I too have been told the lube spray doesn't last very long and that oil should be used.  I've , also been told that everytime you sharpen a blade you make is shorter and a fine effectively becomes a surgical if sharpened several times.

I've not heard or observed the burning of skin, but we do recommend liberal application of cornhusker's oil after clipping.  I like how it keeps the hide.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:46:27 pm »
You can razor burn one with surgicals. And they still are my blade of choice. Listers are better than premiers in my opinion. Hide and wool have a lot to do with it. As does cover. Fatter the lamb,closer you need to shear him. You can bet the big boys are clipping showday or night before with surgicals.
  • Shane Kirschten

Barton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 07:13:56 pm »
I haven't thought about the blades becoming shorter every time you sharpen them.  That would make since why I thought I was getting a closer cut with my fine blades.  I have had the fine blades sharpened multiple times.
  • Emily Barton