Author Topic: ewe lamb contracts?  (Read 2455 times)

Gtown

• View Profile
ewe lamb contracts?
« on: April 15, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »
Just wondering if anyone had kids raise/show their ewe lambs and then return them?  If so, what type of contract do you use?  Thanks
  • Josh Golob
Raising club lambs and breeding stock in Granger, WA

KCCLambs

• View Profile
Re: ewe lamb contracts?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:42:38 pm »
A promise and a handshake
  • Carl French

Gtown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:04:41 pm »
I used to believe that and I personally deal that way, but have found that a lot of others change their mind when it suites them better.  I learned this lesson from family. 

I guess that if I loaned out a really good ewe lamb that I would have to trust the people with or without a contract:)
  • Josh Golob
Raising club lambs and breeding stock in Granger, WA

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:50:36 am »
I suspect more of this goes one than many realize.
Have heard about as many types of deals as you can think of.
I like the Ellerbrock deals.  You buy half interest today, and after show season , she goes back to breeder. She will live there ,likely be flushed and you share in revenue of produce.
  • Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:47:57 am »
I have not used an official contract. I only work with families that have bought lambs from me in the past and I feel comfortable working with on this level. These are families that have proven to be good feeders and that have maintained good communication through the duration of their projects. This year I have requested that they take out insurance on the lamb for a predetermined value in case the lamb dies. I suppose I should have this all in writing and may do that in the future but thus far I have felt that I can trust the people I have entrusted my ewes to.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 05:15:01 am »
We lease ewe lambs out to people.  The state 4-H has a very simple agreement that states that it's a lease and the duration.  We have two conditions, 1) they buy one or more wethers from us at normal show lamb prices, 2) the only sheep they have are from us.  This effectively lets them have two show lambs for the price of 1 and someone else feeds my ewe lambs.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.