Author Topic: Electrolytes  (Read 5269 times)

AA2014

• View Profile
Electrolytes
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:03:37 am »
I am looking for electrolytes to drench.  Please give me your opinions on the best ones.  There are so many, I am going blind reading the descriptions.  My son has lambs and goats, I would like one that does well for both to keep their top and hide hydrated to the touch.  Thank you. 
  • Marnee Singer

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Electrolytes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:45:04 am »
Someone is more than welcome to disagree with me, if they have a favorite but...

Electrolytes essentially are a few different chemical elements (sodium and potassium in particular) that are needed to hydrate cells, plus often some kind of sugar, such as dexrose, for additional energy. These most important ingredients will be the same and work the same regardless of what brand that you use. The other ingredients are just flavoring and coloring to make the electrolytes more appealing to the animal and human giving them.

With this said, we bought a bag of the Dumor electrolytes from Tractor Supply and were very happy with the results in keeping the lamb hydrated and keeping his hide good. At $20 for 4.5 lbs of the powder, which is enough to make 11.25 gallons. , it's a LOT cheaper than the brand name electrolytes than cost $5/per little pouch. Our lambs seem to love the taste and will drink it right out of the bucket, so no need to drench.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

AA2014

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:14:37 am »
Thank you.  I am so glad you said that.  Tractor Supply is really the only supply store I have in my area.  So I will have to order online anything else.  I did buy a bag from Tractor to get me by, and I agree our sheep love it.  I just thought I would do some research to see what else was out there, and wow there is way too much to choose from.

• Marnee Singer

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:40:40 am »
I really like the Re Hydrex paste from SFI supplements. Easy to use, not expensive & you know what each lamb consumes.
  • Lee Meyers

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 06:01:19 am »
Dumor will do in a pinch, but better results will be obtained with Revieve or Refresh.  I think blue ribbon from Merck is an inexpensive one that you can still get good results from.  JMO
  • Cindy Kendrick

AA2014

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:37:09 am »
Have any of you used the 4u2win Hydrate?  This was recommended to me, but I cannot find the ingredients on the website.  I really am not worried about the cost, I will get the best for fair.

Marnee
  • Marnee Singer

FittersOutpost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:38:16 am »
We offer an assortment of high quality supplements, take a look at Fitters Secret Electrolyte and 4Extreme Definition Gel.  www.fittersoutpost.com
  • Anthony Corcoran