Author Topic: Lamb loosing wool  (Read 6330 times)

AA2014

• View Profile
Lamb loosing wool
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »
My son's show lamb is loosing wool.  The skin exposed is smooth.  The spots are circular, but they do not look like ring worm.  I am not sure if it is just a rub, but I have never seen it like this.  There seems to be another spot forming directly under the first spot.  I began treating for ringworm just in case, the spot keeps getting larger.  Any ideas on what it is or how to treat.  It i can figure out how to post a picture I will. 
  • Marnee Singer

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
Re: Lamb loosing wool
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:48:07 pm »
Sounds like ringworm. Pictures would help, but multiple circular spots showing up is more likely than not, ringworm. Before method of treatment.. when is your show?
  • Lee Meyers

AA2014

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:58:17 pm »
Fair is in August.  He has a jackpot this weekend.  I have been treating for ringworm for about a week.  I think I just figured this site out ha.  I will take pics in the morning.  It is not scaly or rough like ringworm usually is. 
  • Marnee Singer

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:11:18 pm »
How are you treating for ringworm (club lamb fungus).  In our experience the MOST important thing is to rub the spot raw saw the product can actually get to the live fungus.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

AA2014

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:58 pm »
I started with tea tree oil, when that did not work I started using blu-kote..which usually works excellent for me.  Kind of wondering if this is a different form than what we are used to.  I also sprayed him down with lime dip. 
  • Marnee Singer

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:19:48 pm »
Of your 3 I would expect Lime Dip to work but usually takes 2-4 treatments but rub off the scabs.  I still have the first bottle of tea tree oil I bought many years ago.  I'm still waiting for something to respond to it, (I'm not a fan of the product.)  I've not seen Blu-Kote work on club lamb fungus either.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 06:02:38 am »
Scrape with pocket knife removing all you can. It should bleed. Spray with Fluid Film. Recoat with Fluid Film for a couple of days.
  • Lee Meyers

AA2014

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 11:49:41 am »
Thank you!
  • Marnee Singer

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 10:15:16 pm »
We have ewe lamb that started losing the wool in an odd pattern over her back 12" x 2" and one smaller patch.  We had taken her to an LAI clinic about two weeks prior to her wool loss.  It looked like the wool just fell out.  No red, no crusty, no raised spots, just plain normal looking skin.  I sprayed her back with the generic version of Enviro-Sep ($1.60 per can) two times and after about a week her wool started to grow back in.  The new wool is black.  My understanding is that if the wool grows back in black, it was wool fungus.  By the way, I didn't scrape the skin, just used the spray.
  • Laura Overton

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 04:54:24 am »
The scraping is done when your dealing with ringworm.
  • Lee Meyers

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:25:00 am »
Honeytree, I have seen sheep lose patches of wool in random patterns down the center of their backs a couple weeks following shearing. It will often grow back black. It will get a little crusty, then fall out and reveal clear, smooth skin. It's my understanding that this is caused by sunburn following shearing.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 10:31:04 am »
I did shear her about two weeks prior to the LAI clinic but I used a camelid blade that left heavy stubble and she is penned under constant shade.  She never sunburned and the skin never looked different.  Also, there wasn't any shearing cuts (I like the camelid blade!).

I've never had a sunburn result in black wool regrowth but I've also not had good quality sheep like I do now.  Different genetics perhaps?

I just assumed it was wool fungus because missing wool was in an area that her back would have been touching the cradle.  There has been a big problem with wool fungus where the clinic was held and my ewes were done after 65 other ewes.
  • Laura Overton