Author Topic: LAI protocol  (Read 4582 times)

ARLambs

• View Profile
LAI protocol
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:33:12 pm »
Will someone share their LAI protocol with me, and who recommended it to you? 

We used a protocol last year, but the company doing our AI work is recommending a different one this year, I just want to see if there is one that is best or at least most often recommended.  Thanks
  • Cindy Kendrick

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
Re: LAI protocol
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:13:00 pm »
Ok, here is what I know and please if I get this wrong please feel free to correct me and will do this trying not to share any proprietary information.  Most popular protocol is 14 day CIDR, 5 cc PG 600 IM on day of CIDR pull, LAI fresh semen 48 hours later. Modification of this is 12 day CIDR, 1 cc estrumate or lute day 10, 3.5 cc PG 600 at CIDR pull, LAI fresh semen 48 hours later.  Another modification is 14 day CIDR pull, 1 cc estrumate or lute day 7, 5 cc PG 600 at CIDR pull fresh semen at 48 hours.  Modification to all of these is I have heard that if using frozen semen CIDR pull and PG 600 should be timed so that LAI is done at 54th hour.  If anyone has heard of other modifications would love to know. The first one is the one I used at the end of May and got a 73% take rate.  This is now our 5th or 6th year of LAI but have been doing CIDRS with natural cover to try for those fall lambs back when we had to try to get the CIDRS from Australia and hope they weren't confiscated lol.  I believe the true key is the right condition, good minerals, and excellent semen.  If done right you should get a better take rate with LAI using fresh chilled semen than natural cover.     
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:37:19 am »
Is there a recommendation for how much wool growth is acceptable at time of producer?  Like now more than 30 or 60 days? 
  • Cindy Kendrick

woolpuller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:03:29 am »
Australia consultant states use estrumate 3 days before cidr is put in.
  • Bill Duffield

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:32:04 am »
Cindy when I had 100+ ewes bred LAI at my place from 5 flocks, we were told;
- have them sheared within 2 months
- have them in condition score 3 or better
- give ewes a Vitamin E shot prior to breeding
- I don't recall the exact number of hours we were told were ideal but we pulled CIDRs about 30 hours before planned breeding
- We were told to give PG600 shots

The team showed up late to breed the ewes, so the last ram bred to was probably 8 hours later than we planned.  He had one of the highest settling rates.

The flock that didn't shear the ewes had about 20% settle
The flock that had a lot of thin ewes had around 20% settle
I had 90% settle with one ram and 10% with another ram that after the fact they told me they learned his semen wasn't good for LAI as not many ewes were settling.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 07:03:39 am »
I forgot about the A,D&E. One protocol recommends 5 ccs when you insert the CiDR. Ranch vet says that is too late do it 30 days before. All say shear 25 to 60 days. It's interesting Ontract has a lot of AD&E. Some say if they are too fat the PG 600 is not as effective but I don't Think that because well conditioned ewes seem to have no problem. I argued with Logan over the estrumate and in the end figured he was a heck of a lot smarted and more experienced than I was and did it his way which was with out it. And am glad I did. In September we agreed you could drop the PG 600 to 3.5 but what the heck if you have paid for Semen out of a fancy buck I would rather have twins and a few triplets the singles or zero. So we are going to do about 50 to 60 Sept 1 and are doing 14 day no estrumate 5cc PG  two are feeding on tract. Will be using fresh chilled. Keeping fingers crossed for great take rate for all who are attending!
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 06:30:41 pm »
Have seen 6 different  protocols.
Have seen good results from all.
Common denominator.Donor and recipts on site 90 plus days befor cidr implant.  Co mingled if possible in one peer group.

Vaccinations current. Condition  score 3 plus.
Sheared before protocal starts.
Agressive vit,mineral program. Low corn diet. Corn generates  a lot more internal  heat,which is detrimental to embryo survival.
 That being said, cidrs go in early nedt week for 2 donors and 10 recpiptw.
 All of above in place. All have been under fans and no sun pm. In shade except for mornings,fly control program ,parasite control program, cleated mineral program.Ewes have been walked though working facility  daily for 2 weeks.
Anything I can control,has been controled.
Rams same.
Semen checked.
 hoping for good outcome.
Drugs will make them cycle.
The rest of the program  will make embryos.

• Shane Kirschten

Gtown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 09:19:54 pm »
Pretty much the same as Karin and we got a 75% conception rate from a May 25th breeding this year using fresh chilled semen.  Went 50% on teh 2 that we used frozen semen on (exact same protocol).  We ran out of the fresh.

Good body condition, sheared within 60 days. Good mineral, dewormed and chlamydia and vibrio shots up to date.  No other vitamins or shots except for mineral and on good, lush pasture.
14 day CIDR
PG 600 when remove CIDR at 6 cc IM
Remove from feed and water 24 hours pre-LAI. 
+/- 2 hrs, 48 hours later, AI.

Pretty easy.  Oh, we didn't use mature ewes that have not had early lambs.
On the plus side.  We got 8 out of 9 that took that were February ewe lambs from last year.  All virgins.  I was extremely excited about that.  We will be holding the March Apollo lambs and do this with them in May next year.  Hopefully if works again!

• Josh Golob
Raising club lambs and breeding stock in Granger, WA

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 07:44:57 pm »
That is really exciting regarding your febs Josh. I have been on the fence regarding my October Angry Dragon and Burn Notice keepers when we do MacClennans Bubbles September 1 but I think I am going to give it a try. If they don't take i will use Burny on the ADs and Pivotal on the Burnys for any remarks. I am also considering doing LAI next May using my own ram Burn Notice. Crazy I know but it would be so nice to get 30 or 40 ewes bred to him in the fall to lamb all at the same time and you just can't do that doing natural cover!! 
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs