Author Topic: Raising replacements on pasture  (Read 2398 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Raising replacements on pasture
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:11:33 pm »
A novice question I know but a first for us. We ha always raised our replacement ewe lambs in drylot on hay and grain. However, we now have access to some exceptional pasture. Lots of green grass with some clover and forbs. Will replacement ewe lambs grow well enough on hrass alone to breed at 8-9 months old? They are 3-5 months old now and 60-90 lbs.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bosephus

• View Profile
Re: Raising replacements on pasture
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:36:45 pm »
Mine never would I bred as yearling if i pasture raised my replacements but could breed as lambs if I gran and hayed
  • Peter Tibbits

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:58:18 pm »
Best practice would be feeding couple pounds of grain on pasture. I subscribe to DR Kennedy logic on this. If you have to much pasture, you either hay it or need more ewes. Mine don't see pasture until after second lamb crop. They get mixes with mature ewes at 2nd breeding season. Kept in thier own gruop from 100 pounds until then.
Right bow. Pen of ewe lambs. Pen of yearling ewes . And Tue rest. All mature ewes on grass.  Well when I got home from watching a lamb show and picking up supplies for trip to Sedalia,75 mature ewes were grazing in my neighbors corn field. Which is technically a grass  feild.
  • Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:36:53 pm »
Doc Kennedy's logic may apply well in the midwest where corn is cheap. We pay $220/ton for grain here and good hay is $150/ton. Can't hay this leased pasture and it's 45 minutes away so grain supplementing isn't an option. I purchased 20 commercial hair cross ewes to use it but they aren't keeping up with it. Breeding our wether dams now so need to keep them home to CIDR and sort, etc. I will turn them out when that's all done. I took the two December ewe lambs out there along with a handful of Dorper ewe lambs. I will keep a close eye on their condition and see how they do.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California