Author Topic: Seeking Input **Photos Added**  (Read 3940 times)

Symonomonymonom

• View Profile
Seeking Input **Photos Added**
« on: June 30, 2017, 03:35:42 am »
Hello all! I'm looking for some input on these lambs. I have my own opinions, I'd just like to hear some other perspectives. Just in advance, I realize these lambs are overstretched and their necks aren't at the proper angle. They weren't feeling particularly cooperative and this was the best I could get.

We are 32 days out from fair, which I realize is not a substantial amount of time. Personally, I'm pleased with how they've been coming along, just looking for other advice/recommendations. Weights were 90 and 110 in mid May (most recent weights). They are getting about 4# Honor 18% per day, as well as champion drive and power fill. They are also being sprinted about 400 yards every other day. Thanks in advance for any and all responses! :)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:13:23 pm by Symonomonymonom »
  • Rachel

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Seeking Input **Photos Added**
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »
These kinds of posts are always a little tricky. It's impossible for us to guess how well they will do in the show ring as that will depend on the quality of the other lambs there as well as the personal preferences of the judge that day. With this said, I will tell you what I like and what I would change about each lamb based on the pictures provided.

The first lamb is long, level hipped and appears big boned. I would like to balance this lamb up: it is deep fronted and shallow in the rear flank, opposite what a show lamb should be. It also appears to be flat sided and lacking in lower leg muscle.

The second lamb also appears to be long and level and looks to have more thickness than the first. It also balances better in depth of chest floor and rear flank. As a negative, it is round shouldered and short necked. positioning yourself more in front of the lamb when you brace can help conceal the coarse shoulder and holding the head under the jaw and lifting up can help to extend the neck a little more.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Gtown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »
Should get exact weights.
I would be looking at a 16% honor feed vs the 18% with 30 days until the show.
Would also work on setting and showing them vs. the sprinting.
  • Josh Golob
Raising club lambs and breeding stock in Granger, WA

Symonomonymonom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:41:45 pm »
Emsoff - I appreciate the feedback. The tip regarding showing the second lamb is helpful as well, I'll definitely keep that in mind & do my best to implement it.

Gtown - I'm trying to coordinate times to get them weighed w someone who has a scale. Time conflicts on both ends are the only issue. I don't believe my feed store carries 16%, and I'm not sure if any in the area do. If reducing protein is your recommendation, should I also cut back on the champion drive? I was considering putting them on fitter 35, but I believe it is even higher %... I will contribute more time to the showing/setting also. Just trying to put a little more muscle definition on them.
  • Rachel

Gtown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 03:23:26 pm »
Would not do fitter 35 unless you want to burn fat.  It will help with muscle definition by making them leaner.  Itbdepends on current weight and finish. but the pics look like I would stay from fitters 35
  • Josh Golob
Raising club lambs and breeding stock in Granger, WA

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:49:05 pm »
They look really raw to me. I would be feeding power fuel.  If they have cover on them ,based on pictures, they are large framed in relation to weight.   Those type of lambs rarely need an 18 percent feed or fitter 35
  • Shane Kirschten

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:37:07 am »
No need for Fitter 35 IMO

Are you feeding PowerFill or PowerFuel?  PowerFill is a pig supplement designed for pigs that are being held.  No reason to feed that to your lambs.  PowerFuel is a high fat supplement which if they are eating it, is a good thing for these 2 lambs.

I'd also suggest cutting the sprinting down.  Try 200 yards every other day, really hard.  You don't want to burn many calories but you do want to get the adrenalin up high.  The high fat supplement helps when you  keep exercising the lambs.

Also 2nd the idea of working to get them not overstretched, neck on the first one is pretty  good angle.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.