Author Topic: Rectal prolapse  (Read 2702 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Rectal prolapse
« on: September 05, 2016, 09:09:21 am »
I've got a butcher lamb that we traded (not one we bred) that got a rectal prolapse. I didn't treat it soon enough and now iodine injections aren't keeping it in. He's straining when he lays down but is eating well. He's not quite finished but I went ahead and called the butcher to get on her schedule but it's going to be a few more days before she can get to him? What would you do in this situation? Suture him up? Put in a tube? Leave him be? I just don't want to go out and find him dead with his intestines prolapsed but I also don't want to cause him more stress and pain stitching him up if it's not necessary. Or use a tube? I don't think I'll be able to get a band around it but I do have umbilical tape. What would you do?
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: Rectal prolapse
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »
ate one of those years ago. Never again. The stress and fever caused  by the prolapse, made for  a lamb no one could or would eat. Very strong and gamey.
That being said,if I cant hold it in with a stitch, a band works for me. Gave up on shots and tubes years ago.
Never tried umbilical  tape.
 Stictch in my first choice.Unless damage is obvious.Then band.
I inject with lidocaine around butt.Makes it much easier to put everything back where it should be.
  • Shane Kirschten

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:48:30 pm »
Try a prolapse harness same as you would for a ewe. It will make him think about it and keep it in.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »
Got moved up on the butcher's schedule. He went this morning. Told her he couldn't make it til Friday. Hopefully the meat is edible.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:02:04 am by EmsoffLambs »
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California