Author Topic: Fall Lambing Update  (Read 2779 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Fall Lambing Update
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:46:40 am »
I want to hear from everyone how fall lambing is going! I know a few breeders have had a very busy, yet successful, run lambing out large numbers of AI ewes in a very short period of time. Share how it went. What were your conception rates and what were your experiences lambing out so many ewes at once?

Lambing season officially started for us yesterday with the birth of a stout little ExGames x Ambition ram. Last year was our first attempt at breeding for fall lambs and we ended up with just two ewes bred. This year it looks like we have 8 or 9 out of 10. We also had a litter of livestock guardian dog puppies born on Monday, so our barn is a pretty exciting place right now!

• Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Re: Fall Lambing Update
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:43:48 am »
Our fall lambing is complete.

Six ewes bred to Tomcat, five conceived.  One miscarried.  Three sets of twins with a perfect split of one ewe and one ram to each ewe plus a single ewe lamb.

Four bred to Angry Dragon, zero conceived.

I cidr'd one additional ewe as a back up if any of the four booked for Angry Dragon lost her cidr.  No one lost a cidr so I put her out with my ram.  I figured I'd save the money and didn't bother to use PG600 on her.  She bred on schedule and produced a single ewe lamb two days ago.

Also busy with a new litter of Jack Russell Terrier puppies born on Sunday.

I sure like having new lambs twice per year!  More joy :)
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »
Jack Russell puppies! I'll bet they are fun! I wish I only had lambs twice a year. I will have these late October lambs, then start again in December and go through March.  :P
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »
Right now my Jack Russell pups look a lot like your puppies, but a whole lot smaller!  They were 4.5-5.9 oz at birth.
  • Laura Overton