Author Topic: How old was your oldest ram?  (Read 4250 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
How old was your oldest ram?
« on: October 25, 2016, 01:17:39 pm »
I am just curious, how old have you had rams still working? I have an old boy that is going on eight that I just sent back to Texas. He's in great shape and getting around well.  I would live to get one more season of use out of him.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Heresheep

• View Profile
Re: How old was your oldest ram?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:00:43 pm »
Well, I have 2 that are 8 years old!  (Yikes). 
  • Cindy Freed

Bosephus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:19:44 am »
We just collected and sold a 9 year old he was taken very good care of but bred 50-75 ewes every year the guy that bought him bred 50 with him this year as well
  • Peter Tibbits

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:47:22 pm »
We've had a couple of black face rams that have lived past 8.  It seems an awful lot are programed to die as 2 or 3 year olds.  Several I've used for 2 years and sold them and then I don't hear what happens to them when the 3rd owner gets them as 4 or 5 year olds.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:53:26 pm »
the reserve champion hamp ram from 2007black and white is still kicking. I bought that ram from Mark Overman there. I used him 3 years and sold him. In those 3 years he bred ewes in Iowa,South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming. I sold him  and he has bred ewes in large commercial operation since. His daughters are good and some are still here. 
 In response to Dons comment about short lives. Most rams and many ewe lambs are fed to much grain during 1st year. Permanent irreversible damage is done to digestive trcat ,and shortens life dramatically.
Western sheep, which typically get very little grain,live much longer.
  • Shane Kirschten

PCrome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 06:40:43 pm »
In response to Dons comment about short lives. Most rams and many ewe lambs are fed to much grain during 1st year. Permanent irreversible damage is done to digestive trcat ,and shortens life dramatically.
Western sheep, which typically get very little grain,live much longer.

If that's what you think, go ahead on and believe it, but I'm not aware of a single piece of research that supports making this statement. There's a difference between feeding thriving animals well and having to pour feed to them just to get them to thrive, and it's not really that hard to tell the difference.i do agree that how an animal gets through the first year of its life has more to do with how it lives for the rest of it than any other thing you can do.
  • Phil Crome

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 05:57:20 am »
Not much difference in how I feed ewes and ram lambs.  I don't see the ewes die young like the club lamb rams tend to do.  I'm quite confident that we do have a sex linked negative trait that kills these rams.  It would be possible diet and other things impact it.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 07:57:22 am »
 I just gonna throw this out guys. When I sold feed , I would get  on yards of commercail breeders in my area every day. Genetics were basically the same ,as many of those sheep are ewes that produce lambs for superior farms. And would also get on several club lamb producers flocks.  The average life of ewe on most of these ops is less than 5 years old.It's rate for many to have very few over that, both commercial and clubby. Most feed large amounts of grain.
A Ruminant is designed to convert roughage . And the rumen is not designed to digest corn. Anytime more than 1 pound of starch is in that sheep's  rumen, it's converted to an acid vat.
That damage is irreversible. 
Western range stock is never fed close to anything of that . True they live in a different climate. I grew up there.
 That swollen midsection you see on Midwest grain fed livestock is partially because of thicken rumen wall .That results from grain feeding.

As well as feet issues caused by chronic laminitis ,also a direct result of grain feeding.
 Diet is everything, and Midwesterners love grain.That will never change.
They don't feed dairy cows like feedlot steers.
Yet sheep people, think ewes should be fed like feedlot steers.
 Rams die young,because they have had grain and fat pounded down their face since birth.

• Shane Kirschten

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 08:04:52 am »
From a seller point of view. If the rams live a long time, that means less people are in the market for new ones.  That is not  a business model that works well.
  • Shane Kirschten

shadowran

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 07:51:28 am »
we leased a old ram we were first starting out he was around 12 got down a bit and we started giving him MSM in his feed and in a week he was up and jumping like a lamb
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects