Author Topic: Grafting lambs  (Read 4622 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Grafting lambs
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:47:52 pm »
I have tried all the methods to graft lambs with only very limited success (as in one in all my years that has actually claimed a lamb that wasn't her own). However, a few years ago I invested in a head gate. I have only used it twice but both times the ewe took the lamb after a few days. This last one, a ewe lost her TWO WEEK OLD lamb. So I stuck her in the head gate and put one of a set of triplets on her, no really expecting her to take it after having her own lamb for two weeks, but figured it was worth a shot. Well, after four days she is enthusiastically claiming the lamb! I'd call that a success.

What methods have you tried to graft lambs and what has been your success?

• Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: Grafting lambs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:18:27 pm »
My best suçcess has been to graft them to a nipple pail.It never fails.:-)
The grafting head gate was repurposed to a real gate.
  • Shane Kirschten

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 07:46:40 am »
Crystal, I'm impressed you had some success.  I think the biggest factor that is unappreciated is the genetics of the ewe.  I've had daughters of some rams that will never accept a grafted lamb.  I've tried everything I could think of with and without the head gate, (dead lamb skinned, various smelling agents, coating the lamb with her milk, feeding the lamb only the ewes milk, ....)  I have good success wet grafting lambs where the ewe will clean a lamb off.  Occasionally the other techniques work but too often eventually the ewe would break or kill the lamb I was trying to graft.  My head gate now serves as a extra creep panel.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:20:33 am »
Don,  suspect you are very much correct, that genetics has something to do with it. I do have very maternal ewes. In fact, I have never once, in all my years lambing, had a ewe reject one of her own lambs. My ewes WANT to be mammas. My neighbor raises finewools and it seems every single year she has a ewe or two reject of of a set of twins. She borrowed my head gate last year and it took two weeks in the gate to get the ewe to take both her lambs, but she finally did.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Polymom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
We always have an abundance of lambs with our polypays so have rarely had an opportunity to even attempt it.  The only time it worked was when a ewe lamb had lambed and never got up to clean the lamb up so it was dead.  The next day my husband put a lamb on her and she took it and was a good mom to it.  We joked she was too naive or stupid to realize it wasn't her own.  Another hint I've heard of is to insert your hand and make a fist to simulate another lamb being born, smear fluid on the lamb, and then give the ewe the lamb to be grafted.
  • Julie Terpstra

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:42:35 am »
I have heard the same thing about simulating another birth. I have read that, up to 48 hours after the first lamb was born, that you can give a shot of oxytocin to cause contractions, wait a half an hour and then insert your hand for five minute. The ewe will think she had another lamb and accept the graft. I have never done this myself though.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 01:10:42 pm »
The challenge with grafting,is the ewe is fetal programed tobproducr milk for however many she is carrying. So adding a bonus to a ewe caring a single, often results in  2 poor lambs. And about 50 percent will "starve off" at 30 days or less.
To me " maternal " means she is smart enough to know hers from any other, and does not let them nurse.
I grew up on western cattle operation. Grafting a calf was never and option, and granny cows were a disruption.
I tend to look at ewes the same.
Never have figured out where the idea, that orphan lambs should be fostered to.
And the large commercail peeps here ,have not wasted time on that in years.
 Bonus lambs are sold, or placed on MR.
The cost of labor for messing with the fostering process, far exceeds the cost of MR. Especially when busy lambing in the big ops here.
Neighbor has around 225 to 250 drop rate with  a thousand ewes to lamb. So nothing to foster to, and no time anyway.
Kudos to those that mess with it. But that lamb just became very expensive.
One neighbor used to use goats.
Stantioned dairy goats and 4 per goat for 4 weeks. Abrut weaning and another 4. His kids are gone ( pun intended) and so are goats. He has another commercial producer buy all of his now. That gal uses the dairy goat system as well.

• Shane Kirschten

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 09:44:30 am »
Well I only had eight ewes lamb this months. One had triplets and one lost hers. I was bottling one. When I have multiples I will do the lamb bar but doesn't seem worth it for one. I had a ewe with a big full udder and a head gate. Four days of labor feeding a ewe in a jug was lower than bottling three times a day for a month or even filling a lamb bar everyday. Cheaper too. And the lamb grows better. To each their own but it works for me.
  • Crystal Emsoff