Author Topic: Individual feeding pens  (Read 5079 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Individual feeding pens
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:28:55 am »
We are going to make an individual feeding pen setup for our boys for Christmas, similar to those pictured below. For those that use these, what width and length is each stall? Any tips or suggestions?

• Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

meyersshowlambs

• View Profile
Re: Individual feeding pens
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:32:08 am »
18" x 60" put a couple bars on top to keep the occasional jumper in. Put feed in first, then lambs, to keep them from jumping while waiting. Have easy to open and close latches on doors because they will fight to get in. Gets to be a chore as the lambs get bigger especially if you have a bunch. I used to have a row of 10 of these stalls. 10 lambs fighting to get in is a pain. I used to use these for years. Went to individual 5x8 pens that they are in continuously. they get let out periodically to exercise in a mixing pen. then back to their individual pens. lambs are calmer and easier to handle since switching to this route. way easier at feeding time to.
  • Lee Meyers

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »
I would agree Lee. Have feeders that have used the small pens.  Now most ,that individually feed, have a 10 by 10, with feed and water set up. Lambs either live in the pen 24/7 and get exercise via Walker , track, and road , or are run in common pen ,with exercise area over night, and penned up during day.
If I was to feed,it would be that way.
Use lambing jugs for feeding pens during, and run together at night.
Part of ME, says I never want my lambs trained to " Back up". And backing them out of a feeding pen, twice a day, is certainly doing just that.

Just another bad habit, that now needs corrected. The less that lamb ,has to learn, the easier it's is for me. I want to teach him to walk ahead and drive up and ahead.
I do not want him learning to walk backwards and then every time I ask him to drive, he backs up from pressure on his head.Which I have conveniently "trained" him to do,by backing him out of a feeding pen.
Call me crazy.
  • Shane Kirschten

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 05:37:27 am »
We used lambing jugs as feeding pens. They worked well used the same feeders and water pails we used at lambing time. About the 3rd day of feeding it was easy to put the right lamb in the right pen.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.