Author Topic: Honor Showlamb Grower HELP!  (Read 4197 times)

JParish

• View Profile
Honor Showlamb Grower HELP!
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:01:45 am »
We are in the process of switching over our feed from the breeder and I'm confused that I may of chosen the wrong type to start w/?!?  Our lambs (black faced) are March babies and we are switching over to the 15% pellet grower.  I was told to start w/ that and if they get to much cover closer to show (4/12/16) then to switch them to the 18%.  Is that correct?!?  I was reading over some of the information on the feed, which made me begin to wonder if what I am doing is correct?!? 

Also what is the difference b/w the pellet and textured feeds from the animals point?!?  We had plans to wet feed as well, is this something that can be done w/ either?!?

I appreciate any help and info you can provide as I have totally confused myself...LoL!!!
  • Jessy Parish

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Honor Showlamb Grower HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:13:42 am »
When is the show?  I will attempt to get Feedguy over here to our new forum. He will be able to offer the most help with this particular question.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

JParish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:28:04 am »
Not until April...We've only had them 2 weeks...
  • Jessy Parish

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:45:53 am »
I'd suggest  your read this Honor advice, http://purinamills.com/animal-nutrition-information/articles/show-animals/strategies-for-feeding-modern-showlamnbs/

In commercial operations you'd start opposite what your advice is.  You drop protein as the lambs get older.  In the above link they suggest either 15 or 18%.  IMO, the more genetic potential  you have for muscle mass and the more muscle building exercise you're doing the more likely that the 18% will help provide the nutrition for that greater muscle build.  If Feedguy weighs in, "do what he says".
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.