Author Topic: white of the lamb's eye is yellow color  (Read 3272 times)

sheepdog76

• View Profile
    • Brasfield Club Lambs and Dorsets
white of the lamb's eye is yellow color
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:38:11 pm »
I've been raising sheep since late 80's and I have never seen this before. a 6 month old wether has a very snotty nose and eyes are a yellow color. Is that liver failure? I have had adult sheep eat poisonous plants and their eyes and urine turn a chocolate color.
 He is on 1/2 show lamb feed( 18% CP and 4% fat) and 1/2 commodity feed pellet ( 15% CP and 3% fat no added copper in feed).
 He was eating good yesterday.  Also he is in a dry lot situation.
 Thanks for any input.
  • John Brasfield

sheepdog76

• View Profile
Re: white of the lamb's eye is yellow color
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:42:13 pm »
I am pretty sure it is a copper problem, even though my feeds do not show copper on the label.
  • John Brasfield

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:57:56 pm »
If I remember correctly, that can be a sign of copper toxicity. There have been cases of feed labeled incorrectly or ingredients inadvertently added. Also, even without added copper, there could still be too much. Some areas of the country have enough copper in the soil that feeds grown in them can cause poisoning. Just some things to consider. You might think about having the lamb blood tested.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

FittersOutpost

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:47:53 am »
FDA only requires copper to be listed if it is added or is 20 ppm or higher in sheep feed.  If your feed contains any type of grain it will have copper in it.  If the lamb is showing these symptoms and it's copper toxicity you will know pretty quick.
  • Anthony Corcoran

sheepdog76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:32:36 am »
Thanks, that is what I am afraid of. He was showing symptoms last night. Gave a shot for snotty nose. Holding his own right now and a little perkier ( is that a word? ha ha)
  • John Brasfield

Kgb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:13:09 pm »
I seem to remember there are some diseases that cause yellowing of the whites of the eye as well.
  • Kevin Burgoon

sheepdog76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:10:13 pm »
 Pipestone newsletter  had a very interesting article on copper poisoning. There are many variables beside feed issues which can lead to or cause copper poisoning. I never thought about copper wire or other potential contaminants. Today was not wasted, I learned something new..ha….ha
  • John Brasfield